1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Will this Video card (and upgrade) improve my UO experience?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Vareck, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Vareck

Vareck Guest

I wasn't satisfied with the way UO was running on my computer. So, I'm having someone replace the motherboard, RAM (4GB Now), video card, hard drive, power supply, CD ROM, fans, and processor (Quad Core) on my computer. I think that was all they replaced.

I'm starting to wonder if the only thing that wasn't replaced was the cover over the computer now.....actually I kept the floppy drive on the computer.

But, I'm wondering if this card will make my UO experience really awesome now... the computer is due to be completed tomarrow at the cost of 1200 bucks... but, I really want UO to run smoothly.

EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX Video Card - 512MB GDDR3, PCI Express 2.0, SLI Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV is the card.

I'm hopping UO will look truly awesome now.

2. E_T

E_T Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

If you're running UO:KR then, yes. If you're running 2D then, the Mhz of your processor is most important.

3. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

It will help KR run nice and smooth, but will be of little noticeable help for 2d as KR uses the graphics card to run while 2d relies more heavily on the processor.

4. I'm assuming you mean KR...since that would be massive overkill for the 2D client.

I don't know that quad core matters. That depends on the program taking advantage of threading. In some cases, it can actually slow things down and might have to be disabled.

I have the same amount of Ram, a slightly older nVidia with the same amount of VRam...and it runs like a snail for me. I gave up even patching KR...I'm not far from just removing it from my system entirely.

What you have now should technically be above recommended specs...but so am I and it still stinks.

Best of luck.

5. Dermott of LS

Dermott of LS UOEC Modder
    Stratics Veteran

I run KR on a GeForce 7950GT 512 Meg card and it runs nice and smooth.

The core components are a bit older with a 3500+ Athlon 64 (single core) and 2 gig of PC3200 DDR RAM, but the KR client is still nice and smooth.

6. nix912001

nix912001 Guest

At 4GB of Ram make sure you have 64 Bit XP or Vista, or else you wont be using any of it anyway.

7. Azazel of LA

Azazel of LA Guest

Well its not gonna "Look Better" because the game is 10 years old and updating your cpu wont help that. You will have a better game experiance because your gonna run alot smoother (as long as your not on dial up still) and faster. I gotta ask though , where are you getting the cpu from? Are you building or buying from a site? I might be able to help you save some $$$.

• About Us

Stratics is the oldest continually running MMORPG Fansite on the Internet. Founded in 1997 Stratics has served the Ultima Online Community for 18 years. We strive to provide the most complete social experience for Ultima Online players.
  • Subscribe Now!

Want to provide Continual Support? Subscribe and gain additional benefits as a patron of Stratics.com!
    Subscribe Now!

Stratics Professional Accounts feature the following advantages:

• Ad-Free Browsing of our Forums
    • Upload a custom Profile Cover
    • Unlimited media upload storage space
    • Use of the theme styler
    • Ability to collapse the sidebar
    • Premium background themes to choose from
    • Access to additional features of the Classifieds System
    • Ability to Customize Your User Title
    • No Post Delays
    • Additional Signature Allowances:
    • Special Professional Banner Display with your Account
    • PM Allowance Upgrade
    • Additional Thread Allowances
  • Support Us!

Don't feel like subscribing? Donations to benefit the further development of Stratics and for purchase and inclusion of additional features are always welcome.

Donate to us!