1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Win7 in a virtual pc with 1gb: what client?

Discussion in 'UO Resources' started by pgcd, Oct 6, 2009.

1. pgcd

pgcd Guest

I had to install win7 in a virtual machine to be able to play on my work pc (don't ask =)). Since I can only allocate 1gb and I can only use the emulated graphics card, do you think there's any chance I can run the EC?

2. Sure, there's a chance...

[​IMG]

3. Shamus Turlough

Shamus Turlough Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

The emulated graphics in MS Virtual PC do not support direct draw. This will more than likely not let the EC run. I personally run virtual XP pc's and the classic client runs beautifully inside them. If you want to run the EC, you might have to use the VMWare client engine.

4. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

I haven't tried it in a while, but I still wouldn't want to do anything 3Dish in VMware.

Classic client would be the way to go, or maybe explain the exact restriction that makes you do it in a VM and we can think of another way to get it running.

5. pgcd

pgcd Guest

I can confirm that the EC won't run in virtual pc, I might try VMWare or the Classic (that runs very well indeed). Anyway, the reason why I can't install on the metal is simply that I'm using my work PC, and it would not be appreciated if I was to "taint" it with not-work-related software (virtual machines are ok though).

6. Wulf2k

Wulf2k Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Crusader of Chaos

You could install it in a sandbox.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Runs on the computer directly, but nothing is written outside the sandbox. Delete the sandbox folder and it's like it was never there. That's skirting the line though, so might still be unacceptable.