1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Wish: Unsecure Container Warning During Logout

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Lorax_Pacific, Sep 8, 2013.

?

How did the happen to Lorax

1. He was asleep and gremlins took his chest

30.0%
  2. He released it and there was no stupid person reminder gump

70.0%
  3. He was out of storage slots and put the chest on another character...amnesia

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. There was a house bug and his rares and POF went poof

10.0%
  5. Too much information to decide

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Lorax_Pacific

Lorax_Pacific Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I must have released a container last time I crafted and lost a bunch of stuff like 40 POF's some rare items etc.

Pure negligence I would guess, but wish there was a warning gump that had popped up reminding me there are containers in my house unsecured. Something like, "Hey distracted stupid person you unsecured a container and are logging out."

I really can't figure out why I would have released it because if another account needed access I would have adjusted the security to friend. I was low on storage last time and only have 117 slots available now. Its all rather odd.

2. cazador

cazador Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

It's happened to the best and worse of us..sorry man! Hate when that happens..try in securing a bag with all your fresh made barbed kit armor..and forgetting! That was disappointing :( there goes 100m

3. Vexxed

Vexxed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Anytime I've done stuff like this it was to physically relocation the position of the container in my house. The last time it happened I unlocked a chest, moved it... realized I needed the Deco tool to turn it and did so and obviously forgot to relock it...

4. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Campaign Patron

I didn't know that deedable containers (arcane bookshelves, elven dressers, etc.) became unsecured when you recustomized your house until I lost 80k+ reagents and various other things because I wanted to move a stairway. I see it's being fixed in the new patch, but ouch! Sorry you lost your stuff.

5. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I see a couple scenarios.
    1) Sometimes when locking down or securing in the past year or two I've noticed when you lock down or secure you will get the target, target the object or container and it doesn't lock down and gives no message. Not sure what causes this.

2) Another possibility is you did secure it but the action would have put you over the storage limit so it didn't lock down and you didn't notice the message.

I can see them making the warnings better for these two situations but I think tracking everything you unlock and don't secure in a game like UO would be impossible due to its nature.

6. Sean

Sean Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Can't even tell you the things I've lost from forgetting to lock down a chest while rearranging over the last 16 years, like my Chessie Transfer shield. Just have to remind myself it's pixel crack, doesn't help much cause I'm more mad at myself, but guess that comes with my age.

In saying that I agree it probably would a nightmare to develop tracking system for this.

Lord Frodo likes this.
  7. CovenantX

CovenantX Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

The issue you describe seems to be caused by having another macro that comes up with a target courser on any of the keys used when typing "I wish to lock this down" or "I wish to secure this",
    getting into the habit of cancelling the current target before hitting enter to secure/lockdown could save time, & prevent you from losing things, or set a macro to secure/lock down.

8. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I learned long ago to never move full containers.

Always empty them into an intermediate secured container first, then move the empty container.

Even with perfect memory, there is always the chance of a client or shard crash, or loss of internet etc.

AppleJax likes this.
  9. claudia-fjp

claudia-fjp Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Yeah, that is not it. Times it's happened I typed it or used ctrl-q on repeated attempts until it locks down (something like 7 one time with nothing but the gauntlet cursor in between)... that and I don't have single key alphabet macros like some newb spamming spells when he types. :) Not to mention happening on different characters with different macros. Or the fact there is 0 messages for skill use or spell casting to even give me a targetting cursor.

10. Marcellis

Marcellis Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran

My paranoia has bordered on obsessive compulsive whenever I do some heavy sorting and moving of my containers. I usually end up mousing over every container at least 5 times. :coco:

11. Warpig Inc

Warpig Inc Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

In the early days there was a sweet bug that got me after some home decoing. Wooden sunken chest facing East became unsecure after server up. My first expierence of hearing the classic GM words,"Sorry for your loss".

12. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

If I've been moving containers inside my house I will enter custom mode after. This way anything loose gets ejected from the house and appears under the house sign.

13. Lorax_Pacific

Lorax_Pacific Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I just remembered what I was doing that day...I was making trapped containers to get out of para. Had to lock them down and release them.

Somehow the wrong chest was released.

-Lorax

14. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I don't know how many times I've lost something doing something dumb. Usually me being forgetful. Sorry to hear of your loss.