1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

With stackable sand...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Eslake, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Eslake

Eslake Guest

Since sand will Finally be in a form worth trading and actually Using for something besides that 1 complete set of deco we all already have, isn't it about time we could acquire it at a reasonable rate?

With 105 mining it takes a rediculous amount of time to get even a handful of sand piles. The rate is so low the only reason to ever mine the stuff is to make the decoratives, which have no value since everyone who wants a set has long since obtained it.

If the chances at digging up sand were increased a bit, it might actually make sense to make bottles with it for one thing.

When a GM+5 miner mining sand cannot produce bottles as fast as someone with 0 Total skill points taming cats or dogs to kill mongbats and Buying the bottles at 50g each from a Tram NPC, it doesn't really make a lot of sense.

2. Fink

Fink Guest

You get double sand in Felucca, now, if that's any help.

3. Flora Green

Flora Green Guest

Some people are skeered of Fel! :hahaha:

4. Devil_Woman

Devil_Woman Guest

You do?!! I didn't know that! I may have to go do some digging somewhere in Felucca then. Usually I just spend a few minutes digging around one of my houses since it's on Bald Island just where the jungle meets the beach.

I really don't have a problem with the current rate of acquisition of sand, but I do think it would be nice if one sand made more than one potion bottle.

5. Melchiah

Melchiah Guest

Or if empty bottles were given back after making cookery things with potions...

6. There's more than one type of sand and people use it for deco?

I can honestly say I've never seen that. Then again I think I've only seen mined sand once or twice in 4 yrs. :blushing:

7. Xevious

Xevious Guest

I believe they were referring to a complete set of crafted glass vials/beakers/etc.

8. Why not just put the deco items on the NPC's and save you the hassle?

9. Eslake

Eslake Guest

Why have bottles be craftable at all?

My point was that the rate at which the best miner there is can acquire sand would actually produce bottles at a minute Fraction of what a character with no skills whatsoever could acquire them by taming 0skill pets to kill mongbats and buy them from an NPC.
    It just makes no sense to be that way.

As it stands, the complete removal of glass blowing from the game would probably effect less than 10 people across all the shards combined. And those only because they want a bubbling purple flask or something and for one reason or another haven't already made one.

10. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

Because some people who run vendors (myself included) try to keep their prices down and as stable as much as possible. Before the change that removed buying low from one NPC and selling high to another the prices were self regulating. Now that it's actually a waste of money to buy and resell to an NPC nobody does it, therefore prices stay up.

Now back to where I was going. When I used to stock potions on my vendors (before the buy/sell change) I sold them all for 35gp each. If I'm paying 30gp for a bottle, and another 8-12 for regs to make the potion, I'd either have to raise my prices or sell at a loss. By mining sand and making bottles I'd be able to keep my prices low, and put more of a profit in my pocket.

I agree though, they should increase the amount of sand that miners get. It just takes too long to get enough to be of any real value.

11. pavel.vesely

pavel.vesely Guest

Well Black Sun by making botles this way, you loose lot of time for several gold pieces, and you call yourself merchant?

12. Farscape

Farscape Guest

I do not think time or gold is an issue here it is more something different that you can achieve like making items out of granite it is nice to be able to do it :)

13. laurlo

laurlo Guest

hrm...

I have never bothered mining sand... didn't even know it had not been stackable..

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. Supreem

Supreem Founder, Citadel Studios
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Alas my favorite profession in UO.... sand digging :p

15. Silly Seadog

Stratics Veteran It's My Birthday

Arrrr, how else be ye a-gonna find the booty?!?

16. Eslake

Eslake Guest

Alas? ALAS? Don't scare people like that! :p

Honestly though, is there an actual reason it is so slow to dig up sand? Even at 5x the rate it wouldn't do anything to bottle prices.

haha just let us use garg picks to triple the sand rate and risk digging up ant lions. :D

17. Beastmaster

Beastmaster Guest

Put a rare seed on that ant lion and you'll be able to walk around and pickup tons of sand.

18. Black Sun

Black Sun Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

I don't make my own bottles, when the price fix went into effect I stopped stocking potions, and concentrated on keeping the stock levels of my other vendors up. I was using that example to illistrate a point.

It would be a huge waste of time to make my own bottles for the few potions I sold anyway. So there :lick: