1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Wondering about the future of UOGamecodes...

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Aurelius, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Spotted this piece of news today -

Edit - now I know the link needs a login on the pages for it, I've copied the text, and a link to the press release from Livegamer, two posts down .... sorry for that!

Can't help but wonder, given it's less than spectacular reputation, if UOGamecodes might be shifting to new management before too long.

2. Babble

Babble Guest

*mumbles* You need to be logged in to read it.
    :p

3. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Really? Didn't realise that ... hang on ....

"EA partners with Live Gamer for microtransactions

Publisher Electronic Arts has signed up to use Live Gamer's Elements microtransaction tech in future titles.

This comes hot on the heels of THQ arranging to use Elements in Company of Heroes Online and a number of forthcoming, undisclosed games.

Live Gamer Elements offers support for virtual currency, item storefronts, virtual goods, gifting and analytics. The system is used by 83 million gamers worldwide, and by publishers including Sony Online Entertainment, Funcom and NHN USA.

"We selected Live Gamer due to its unique ecommerce functionality and payment methods which will augment EA’s current ecommerce capabilities," said Dennis Self, EA’s CIO.

"With that, EA is committed to its efforts to enable global online gaming capabilities, and Live Gamer provides us with additional capabilities to do that."

Added Live Gamer president Andrew Schneider, "EA is synonymous with some of the most popular video games of all time. [It] has also embraced and innovated new business models in the game industry since its pioneering efforts in online gaming and now extending to their entrance into social gaming."

EA has yet to reveal which games will use Elements, but has increasingly dabbled in the field of free-to-play – including diverting brands such as Tiger Woods, FIFA, Ultima and Battlefield to it. "

LiveGamer press release on it is here - (which should be readable...)

http://www.livegamer.com/about-us/news/2010/07/live-gamer-announces-agreement-with-ea.html

4. olduofan

olduofan Guest

ya I tried as well have to be logged in can you post it here ?

5. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Done. Sorry about that...

6. olduofan

olduofan Guest

thanx :thumbup1:

7. Babble

Babble Guest

Hmm, I doubt it will have any impact on UOGamecodes for now.
    Sounds like they will use the Microtransaction systems for new games or for games which are designed for it.

If UO goes free to play then yes, but until that I doubt anyone from higher up EA actually knows uogamecodes actually exists, so they can hardly cancel it and further ignore maintaining it.

8. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Given their drive to save money, my suspicion is that all their microtransactions would shift to a single point for sales, rather than have a weird 'orphan' like UOGamecodes running seperately. Seems odd to keep such an idiosyncratic site running, especially when it has such a poor technical record.

9. Babble

Babble Guest

For everyone who ever had troubles with the EA webpage any other system should be adequate or an improvement.

So you should hope they update the system.

I still think they don't really know about the webpage though.

10. Save money? They aren't even spending anything on UOG. That website is complete crap (no offense EA, but you as well as I know it's true). I actually am looking forward to this transition and pain-free way of purchasing UO e-pixels.

It would be nice though if they gave us an example interface or beta to test before committing to the project.

11. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie

Just because it's rubbish doesn't mean it was, or is, cheap to create and maintain....

12. That's true. Without knowing how they maintain it. I assumed that they hosted it on an external webserver that they already use with other sites (including the herald), but I could be wrong. That would make maintainence relatively cheap and cheap to host.