1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Would You Buy UO-Themed 3d-Printed Collectibles?

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Tina Small, Jul 8, 2015.

?

Would you buy UO-themed 3d-printed collectibles?

1. Yes

21.6%
  2. No

40.5%
  3. Maybe

37.8%
  1. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

A couple of companies have sprung up that are selling 3D-printed collectibles (e.g., figurines, phone covers, etc.) for various games. If EA or Broadsword decided to partner with a company to make/sell collectibles based on UO characters and/or items in UO, would you buy the items? How much would you be willing to spend for something like a 5-inch tall figurine that you could personalize by selecting among several options?

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=topnav_storetab_3dp?ie=UTF8&node=8323871011

Eucl3D: https://eucl3d.com/developer

http://things3d.com/pages/things3d-developer-program

Necron87 and Scribbles like this.
  2. Naitch

Naitch Journeyman

No.

I would rather put $50 + into my game time codes...

3. Larisa

Larisa Reporting Manager
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Not $50! Yikes....of course if I had money I would....I would LOVE to have figurines of every monster in game and all my toons :)

4. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

If our figureprint would look like the Classic Client Paper Doll, I might consider it.

I spent $80 on a figureprint of my WoW character... took about 6 months to get it tho... that was painful.
    Not even the whole body...
    [​IMG]

Tamais likes this.
  5. Scribbles

Scribbles Babbling Loonie
    Professional Alumni

I would spend a bit of money for a bit of tangible UO Nostalgia. I wouldnt mind a model of my house, characters, a topographical 3d map, a whole neighborhood map, etc... etc... I would do this especially if i knew most the money would be going towards UO being a better game.

CovenantX, Kolka and Kirthag like this.
  6. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Think I'd wait till the quality was a bit better. If I wanted a Figurine of my character I think that Mattel would do a FAR better job.

I don't know if they still do it but you used to be able to go to their website and they would make you a Barbie specific to your order. Though they had limits to what you could pick and the outfits.

I've seen some folk custom make barbies and kens into some pretty impressive stuff.

7. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

Just don't hold your breath waiting for Mattel to get in the UO merchandise business. ;)

8. MalagAste

Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I wouldn't think they would... but I think they might be inclined to think about doing "special" requests. One think I can say is that Lego seems to be making a killing marketing just about anything you desire into their bricks. They even do Minecraft Legos now.

9. Kirthag

Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Those are called OOAK (One Of A Kind) and yes, can make big money off of that. ;)

10. Merlin

Merlin The Enchanter
    Moderator Professional Campaign Patron UWF

While Lego is making a killing, they're also charging a killing. Last year, I picked up the small Ghostbuster car and it cost $50. Some of these larger sized Star Wars Lego Sets go for $200-$400. I can't imagine that custom requests are any cheaper.

11. Gamer_Goblin

I paint minis from Gamesworkshop. They sell some figures for around $10, but most are closer to $50 or $100. Should check them out if you guys ever want to. There are painting vids on Youtube all the time. They just changed their fantasy range over, though. Here's an example of one of my favorite models http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Orcs-Goblins-Mangler-Squigs

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Nagash

Everyone thinks 3d printers are going to put them out in a few years. ^ I've looked up some printers myself and like you all said the quality isn't there yet, but it's pretty dang good and getting better. I wouldn't be surprised if we'd all be downloading templates later and printing stuff off in our own homes.

callum_fitzhugh likes this.
  12. MalagAste

Oh I know as someone who's collected Lego's for YEARS they are VERY spendy to begin with. And Custom sets are even more so.

13. Kirthag

I used to collect Grenadier and Warhammer miniatures - and several other of the old-school lead figures for D&D - got several versions of Kirthag - and the first one is the ugliest paint job eveh! Heh, I was 13...
    Still have a lot of my minis now in a cabinet. Hrm... I have the time now to paint them! :D

14. Gamer_Goblin

They just released a new line. :) They're pretty cool.

15. MalagAste

I used to have a bunch of those old lead figures myself. One still sits on the "castle" my father carved out of bark that hangs on my wall.... he stands proudly on the drawbridge. While another (a thief) hangs out atop a parapet... I think they are the only 2 I have left. My brother "confiscated" the rest of them when we were kids. I remember the hours painstakingly painting the tiny figures...

16. Kirthag

Who did?
    Granadier went out of business in the mid 90's - I bought out all the Granadier dragons from a small hobby shop in Easton, PA cos I knew they were going out of business.
    Warhammer - well... they are plastic. Easier to paint but... beh... sorry, a bit old skool and love the weight of metal.

Ral Partha makes good figurines - their tin alloy gives awesome details and a bit more weight to the figure. Although I'm limited by what the local comic shops carry - their online store is extensive.

17. Gamer_Goblin

Yea, they're the plastic now. I was referring to Gamesworkshop's new Age of Sigmar fantasy line. It releases tomorrow.

18. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Babbling Loonie

That 3D printing stuff has a long way to go yet. Usually looks like something Granny made for the crafts fare.

19. Goldberg-Chessy

Goldberg-Chessy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Ugh :(
    That thing is disturbing, no offense

20. Zosimus

Zosimus Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

There is starving people around the world. Donate 50 dollars to an authentic donation first :)

Ron Bron likes this.