1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Wrestling question

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by HeathBar, Jun 6, 2008.

1. HeathBar

HeathBar Guest

I have some questions about wrestling. I'm getting conflicting info from the people I've asked.

It was my understanding that wrestling on a mage gave defense bonuses as if you have swordsmanship and have a sword equipped. But I've had people tell me that this isn't so, and wrestling is only useful for interrupting spells and negligible damage.

Also, on the UO website it says:

Does that mean that when I hold a spellbook it's not using my wrestling skill? What if I'm using a spellbook and a shield?

Thanks.

2. Bardie

Bardie Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

wrestling is counted as a combat skill therfore using it gives you the same defense chance as a weapon with the same skill level. I can tell the difference between my 120 wrestle mage vs my mage w/o wrestling not using a mage weapon.

3. aarons6

aarons6 Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

right, but if you hold a -0 mage wep, its supposed to give you that same defense chance.. so wrestling is not really needed..

also holding a spell book still uses the wrestling skill..
    the uo website is wrong.

holding a shield with no parry is only needed for the mods of the shield. if you have a nice sc no -1 shield with high defense chance its good to hold.

4. Doomsday

Doomsday Guest

The only reason for a mage to hold a book in their hand is to benefit from the properties the book has, if it has no properties you might aswell hold a torch (unless you have wrestling of course), otherwise like the other guy said use a boomstick or something it will be way more beneficial to you. I'm thinking of souling wrestling on my thief on siege so i can take up animal taming and just use a boomstick for death strike so we will see.

5. Nyses

Nyses Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Stratics has outdated information. It used to be that if you were a mage and did NOT want to gain magery, you could hold your spellbook in your hands. After the introduction, well a bit before, of spelbooks with properties, mages could arm thier spellbooks to gain the properties and use the wrestle skill.

6. Obsidian

Obsidian UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

What's a -0 mage weapon (with spellchanneling) that doesn't cost a fortune? The only one I know is the Swords of Prosperity, but they go for well over a million gold. For a new player without the cash to back it up, I think Wrestling is the way to go. It can easily be dropped for a weapon skill later when one obtains a proper weapon.

-OBSIDIAN-