1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Yay for Magincia!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Petra Fyde, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

How about this?

2. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Because, apparently, the humans and elves are incapable of even attempting to rebuild a city without the help of the gargoyles, who were until recently hostile monsters...

3. This will be awesome, I cant wait to see what they have in mind for this. I, unfortunately didnt start playing UO until right after Mag was destroyed, so it will be nice to be a part of it's rebuild.

4. Speedy Orkit

Speedy Orkit Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Makes perfect sense to me *shrug* They are skilled workers.

5. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Hey, there are different kinds of gargoyles, just like there are different kinds of humans and elves. :)

6. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I really dont care who fixes it as long as it gets fixed ;-)

7. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Yeah, but we didn't even really know they existed as a non-hostile society, or that we'd have a volcano appear overnight with a tunnel leading to them.

Did the queen of the gargoyles have to suggest to Dawn, during a royal tour of the cities, that maybe they should rebuild it?

8. Storm

Storm UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Premium Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I am betting this will get explained as the event expands

9. Saunders

Saunders Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

They are very skilled in working stone, and every human maker of stone articles has had to learn their skills from gargoyles, no?

10. Experimental

Experimental Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

11. GalenKnighthawke

GalenKnighthawke Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

Maybe you didn't.

http://www.uoguide.com/Ver_Lor_Reg

Galen's blood helped to free that city.

Not to mention that the post didn't say we couldn't rebuild the city without the gargoyles, just that they'd be helping.

The treasury's likely all-but-drained dry by Casca. In fact, on GL some EM fiction has said something like that explicitly. Help can't hurt in this case, especially when we know that the gargoyles are skilled craftsmen. (Though Dawn shouldn't let them position the cannons.)

I'm disappointed in the fluffy nature of the questions the team has chosen to answer, but this one is not in the slightest a good example.

-Galen's player

12. Jhym

Jhym Guest

I'm just hoping it's a group-team-building event and not just "we defeat .monster X. and suddenly on the next serverup Magincia appears".

It would be eminently fun if we had to provide supplies to the Magincia mayor (and other characters) that would be used to actually build each building over time (say each building takes 1 day to 1 week to build.)

Of course that means if we don't supply them they may not be able to build all the buildings and so each shard's Magincia may look completely different.

And it would even be better if the Magincia building supplies given would impact the actual LOOK of the buildings -- so if we gave them all heartwood or all oak for a building, each of the wooden items in the building would be of that type until the "builder" ran out of the material. Same for stone and ore.

I suspect people would LOVE to have bloodwood and shadow Magincia buildings ...

Just sayin'.

:party:

13. Sarsmi

Sarsmi Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran

I would donate both materials and time to rebuilding the city!

14. ACB1961

ACB1961 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I think we're going to have to...

15. It Lives

It Lives Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

Sure hope they don't botch it up like new haven, or the Brit banks.

16. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I'm sure they will - in some people's eyes. There are bound to be some people who like it, and some people who don't. Such is life.
    I'm sure they'll do their best. I prefer simple, uncluttered and not overly elaborate. I look forward to seeing their vision of how it should be. The most recent town built is Ter Mur. I quite like that.

17. Yalp

Yalp Guest

Bingo.. good point indeed! Don't forget glass.. legendary crafts"gargs" in both skills!

18. Gelf

Gelf Guest

Well, if we are donating materials, i wonder if it will be different on different shards?(depending on how much is donated)

19. Aurelius

Aurelius Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Humans 'designed' Luna.

Gargoyles took one look and said "No, really, we can make you one much better than that".....

20. Nh'bdy

Nh'bdy Guest

Gargish Culture should have been in Ultima far before Elven. I welcome the race.

Also, in regards to efforts to rebuild Magincia, we're hot off more than a few tiring wars, and Human's building it did get it wrecked. Twice.

21. Jhym

Jhym Guest

Well, actually Human and Elvish GREED got it wrecked this last time.

Just put something pretty and shiny in the middle of Luna walls, make them destructible and see how many micro seconds Luna remains.

Gargoyles haven't proved they're different on that front yet...

22. Kiminality

Kiminality Guest

Damn... I forgot those gargoyles...
    But, the other cities and castles and stuff were built long before that.

Treasury drained... Makes sense.
    It just feels a little retconned, if it's not in the overarching fiction

23. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I still want to know what the final count was...:fight:

24. Nh'bdy

Nh'bdy Guest

Pride, pride was at fault the first time.

25. soze

soze Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

agreed....all the human and elf characters wanted the pieces of rubble...hence, they assisted in destroying the city....so maybe the gargoyles need to assist us to make sure the greed doesn't get in the way

26. Harlequin

Harlequin Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

Just some random thoughts:

First rule of DnD, if you give a deity stats, someone will find a way to kill the deity.

If you make something destructable, it will be destroyed. The destruction of Magincia was intended when the devs made the change. Allowing players to have a chance of saving it was a nice twist. But that meant the devs needed more work to come up with an alternate plotline to cater to shards that saved magincia.

If other shards get a new sparkling magincia and the ones that saved it didn't, some folks would complain.

Not to mention how they need to deal with the world map. I suspect that even the shards that saved magincia will get the gargs to help rebuild it as well.

Next thought: will the threads of life/fate etc be unavailable after this? I still need a bunch but have been a bit lazy.

3rd thought: magincia design contest!! I have a half completed SA design contest that I did not have time to submit, this will give me a reason to complete it.

27. Trebr Drab

Trebr Drab Guest

I wonder if the city will be rebuilt as it was or if it'll be a new design. I wonder if players will get a chance to add input.

28. if new magincia is going to be a city of humility, wouldn't it just be pretty much a few huts, farms, and an inn? more or less what our ocllo use to be. why would gargoyles be essential for that?

29. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Wiki Moderator Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Use al the Gargoyle refugees as cannon fodder to clear out the souls in a huge battle? :fight::rant2: