1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

you convinced me

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by onthefifty, May 20, 2009.

1. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

i went and made a character today. i decided on a tamer as i don't think rico can steal a bonded pet. j/k lol, and figure i can't lose it.

i want to mix in some magery or chiv to get around. i'm just gonna roam the
    lands and train my skills and see who i come across. i've gotten very into running around sosaria lately and trying to basically memorize the map. i figure i can hunt for reagents, sheer sheep for bandies along the way.

i could use a spellbook as i didn't select magery and guess there is no new haven mage quest here. where is a good shopping mall. well for when i get gold. so far i just killed a sewar rat.

i must admit i'm having a kick living off the land.

hope to see some of you soon.

character name is broadway joe.

2. Elfstone

Elfstone Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome to Siege Broadway Joe :thumbsup: .
    Good shopping at yew and east Umbra mall as well.
    You can't gate with chiv in Siege to get around. Sorry ;).

3. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

thanks,

chiv, hehe guess thats out. thanks

4. Bruin

Bruin Guest

Welcome to Siege Broadway Joe!

I'd check out NEW if I were you, www.siegeperilous.net

Yes, you'll need magery to gate.

I wouldn't worry about Rico stealing anything, as much as he has a reputation on stratics for being a thief (and he is a thief), he's never stolen anything from me that I can remember. And I've played Siege for 6 years.

As for vendors, the best ones I've found for general gear are:
    Molly Fydes which is just east of Moonglow moongate.
    A shop just east of Umbra.
    Gilfane vendor mall in Gilfane.

5. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

Welcome aboard. Enjoy the ride ^^ ...la

6. Lord_Puffy

Lord_Puffy Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran

another tamer, go figure!

7. QueenZen

QueenZen Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Welcome to Siege !

If ya know how to run from Papua to Delucia on foot do so, or whichever way you prefer to go into Delucia to collect all the wool and hides and POST selling those here and make GP. I think you can get 400- 500 gp per cloth bolt and all that cattle in Delucia bring you some leather hides to sell, get ya some scissors cut em up flat and sell that here too. You can sell resourcs here on forum and meet folks at local banks for the exchange.

Join NEW guild like Bruin said.

If ya need a full spell book those can be costly to buy so maybe one of us scribes will just make ya up one to start with.

If you are going to be a tamer work up your magery so when you DO want a pet dragon or some big critter you can go gate around to go try to tame whatever critters ya wanting to have for a pet.

You can gate with 50s magery lots of fizzling and gate scrolls.
    You can gate better with 60s magery some fizzlin and gate scrolls. :)

Join NEW guild good place to begin for your first month here, their guild house is by Skara Brae towards the water southish of the gardens a keep or castle sort of place, will read NEW on house sign. Gm is Shalimar.

8. Kat

Kat Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran TnT/TnA

Welcome to Siege! The NEW guild isn't necessary. Just do your homework on the guilds of Siege [Sticky at at the top of this forum] and find one that fits your playstyle. Most guilds will gladly help you get on your feet, answer questions, help with training, basic equipment, scrolls, etc. Jump right in and have some fun! The water is good! :thumbsup:

9. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

well its been two days and i just wanted to post how i'm doing and some observations i've made. If you think it's o.k. i'd be happy to post this on uhall with a running commentary of how making a char is going on seige.

i started a tamer so that was at 50, took hiding to 49 and animal lore to 1.

in retrospect i should have put a few points in magery but i have time right.

anyway i was able to take my animal lore to 50 after i tamed a horse and continuously lored it.

i started to work on hiding as my plan is to get proficient on hiding and stealth prior to working on my taming skills. hiding has been easy to raise as i'm around 73 now. stealth was another story. it went up easy enough to 25 however once i stopped gaining on fails i really had to grind it to 30. at one point i thought it was just stuck, but i recalled into magencia and was promptly killed by the corrupted souls. (after help stuck out... due to i couldn't figure out how to get back to trisnic as u guys blew up the dock)
    so after a rez stealth began to rise again and now is about 45 or so.

other things i've noticed in my short time.

1) i see more people moving around the towns on this shard. on chessy i never see anyone in the fel towns. here u see people in skara, minoc, brit. this is nice to see.

2) many people around the moongates. nice to see people moving around the gates more than just luna. i met a returning player at skara brae last nite. he played from 98 - 2004 and just came back. he was a gm mage and was running around with just a pair of pants on a horse. he had gm anatomy on his mage and couldnt remember why he put it on, which i found funny.

3) luna was dead. this is a good thing imo.

no offense to the new guild but i'm taking Kat's advise and working things out
    on my own for now.

oh and some guy, gump? pk'd me while i was taking a phone call. lol. sorry buddy i didn't count u.

anyway been a good experience so far

10. Aislin*SP

Aislin*SP Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Welcome to Siege! Glad you're here and having fun.

Magery is easy to train up to 50.... You gain on fails up to 25%, and if you get a high level scroll that you can't actually successfully cast - you can gain on fails from it without spending any regs till you get to 25%. Then get a nice -29% magery wand, and keep casting. You'll continue to gain from fails if you're holding the -29% mage wand.

You can get to 50% magery very quickly.

11. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

@onthefifty, welcome back and do keep posting about the progress :thumbsup: I still pretty much live off the land for life's basic necessties and I've been here several years !

Aislin, thanks for the magery tip as that will be useful to me also - not something I would have thought of and will come in handy when I have to work magery on most characters...

As to the guy you came across who wondered why he had GM anat on his mage, as I recall a few years back there was a popular healer mage template, so it would have been healing + anat for success I think, I can't remember if there were any other bonuses to it ? I remember I had anat/healing/wrestling/scribe/magery/eval/med on my mage on Drach and there were several reasons for that makeup but I don't recall them all.

12. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

anat + eval = defensive wrestling (no offense tho)

anat + wrestling used to mean a character could do the special move "stun punch"

anat + wrestling (healer mage) was pre-AoS and anat + eval was publish 16...

13. Nurse Miss Maude

Nurse Miss Maude Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

The same sparkly thing on the Trin side is on the Mag side when you go there. Take note of where you are in Mag the next time you go there from Trin.

Start increasing your armor to work stealth.

I don't know if you have read about RoT up there in one of the sticky thread, but if not......do so immediately. It's a whole other world once you get a skill to 70. I know stealth isn't to 70 yet for you, but take that into consideration once you get there.

Do not work taming and lore together after 70. Taming is a breeze to work if you remember that one thing.
    Try to finish out lore before you get taming to 70 if you don't think you will do this. Lock it up now. I usually let lore go to 69.9 then lock it up and finish taming. Then I let lore finish out as I work vet up from 0. If vet gets to 70 before I've gmed lore, I lock up lore and finish vet first.
    It's going to take a certain amount of time no matter how you cut it. Patience and working what is the most important first.
    Some used to run here with very little lore. That's fine and it will work.....but you won't be able to rez your own pets. It doesn't matter when there are a lot of people around, but when there isn't or you are out in the middle of nowhere that's an issue.

So you are doing a stealth / tamer.....what else are you going to put on your template?

Edit - I've never played a tamer on this shard but I've worked a couple for people. I'm thinking about doing this with my char....stealth / tamer. Only reason is because I had 85 stealth on a stone and I wanted to use it. I started working taming last night from dead 0, no biggy. It's really an easier skill to work than people make it out to be. Just need to know what to tame when and where to find it.

14. Chardonnay

Chardonnay Visitor

[(anatomy + evaluating intelligence + 20) / 2]

Just to clarify what you said, it was half way right...

15. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

thanks for this, the memories are sort of coming back LOL. This particular mage was definitely way before AoS. It was meant to be a pvp mage but by the time I'd managed to GM the right skills, Age of Shhh.... happened and it was rendered near useless. The scribe bit was for extra spell damage bonus, I have no idea if that still works anymore. I think I'm imagining this but was there some kind of disarm move you could make via wrestling + some other skill at some point ?

16. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

it was all the way right... just told half ass-ly...

17. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

thanks for the encouragement.

to nurse miss maude. yes a stealth tamer was what i was thinking. i will post the full template when im done working it out. on the prodo shards i have a mage/sw/temp but its very item dependent as u can imagine. it seems everyone runs stealth here. it will probably have magery to get around, fight along side my pet and heal/cure myself.

yesterday, (friday nite) was interesting to say the least. i trained hiding to 77.2 and got stealth to 57.5. i like the animal lore advice and will lock that at 69.9 until i get taming up there. it makes much sense and was something i hadn't thought of.

a couple of interesting occurences.

1) i had tamed a black bear to help ward off the mongbats. i was working stealth and some guy popped through the gate and killed my bear with his albino squirrel. i had to laugh. he just says sorry and runs off.

2) i was talking in vent to my prod shard guild leader. he had a 1/2 a--sed mage worked up here and came over to talk. so were standing there at skara gate i think and some guy comes through and attacks my buddy and kills him. i had jsut tamed 5 brown/black bears and said all kill. kill him they did. i was rofl cause i figured with this temp it would be a good year before i could kill anyone. here i am getting a kill in my second day... go figure. i mean when's the last time anyone got killed by 5 black bears on a prodo shard.

oh and i looted the guy. got 1000 gold, a -21 mage se mw katana a -29 sw mw wand (i needed these badly) a full set of leather armor with a nice 55 resist leather cap.

3) my buddy and me go check out umbra cause i told him it had a pretty big town and pop here. so we go out the west road and im stealthing along. my buddy finds an idoc on the road (he's a huge idoc guy) as im' going out to see it some guy is stealthing along next to me see's me training and see's i'm new drops a 60k check at my feet. never comes out of stealth and never says a word.

my thanks and gratittude to you.

i don't know how much i'll play this holiday weekend but will be back soon.

best regards,

broadway joe of seige.

18. Nurse Miss Maude

Stratics Veteran

idoc???? Did you get anything good??

Edit - n/m I see it now. It's been traded so it won't fall.

Keep us updated on your skill working. And yes you can kill thing quite quickly with a pack of animals.
    Will your production shard guild be coming over here? That would be fun.

19. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

i'm trying to interest them. i hate to say it but it really comes down to people enjoying there houses and not playing out of a bank box. funny, i'm here two days and mine is already a mess.

20. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Find just *one* person who has room for a house and you can put down an 18X18 that will hold *all* of them!

21. Nurse Miss Maude

Stratics Veteran

Good suggestion!!

22. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

hi again,

i have a question about the following rot change in pub 55

New ROT info as of Pub 55.

*NOTE* These changes only apply to Siege Perilous ruleset shards (Siege and Mugen)
    Skill points for skills less than 70 points will gain as normal shards.
    Skill points for skills between 70 and 79.9 points will gain a maximum of 5 points per day with a minimum of 5 minutes between points gained. (250 minutes min to gain 5.0 skill)
    Skill points for skills between 80 and 89.9 will gain at a maximum of 4.0 points per day with a minimum of 8 minutes between points gained. (320 minutes min to gain 4.0 skill)
    Skill points for skills between 90 and 99.9 will gain at a maximum of 3.0 points per day with a minimum of 12 minutes between points gained. (360 minutes min to gain 3.0 skill points)
    Skill points for skills between 100 and 109.9 will gain at a maximum of 3.0 skill points per day with a minimum of 15 minutes between points gained. (450 minutes min to gain 3.0 skill points)
    Skill points for skills between 110 and 120 will gain at a maximum of 2.0 skill points per day with a minimum of 15 minutes between points gained. (300 minutes min to gain 2.0 skill points)
    Players will be allowed to gain 15 stat points a day.

unquote

so i have hiding at 82 now and magery at 70. does the average off all skills pertain to the value that can be gained in a day or is it now say i can gain 5 points in the 70-80 range and 4 points in the 80-90 range per day?

thanks

23. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

had a good weekend though couldn't play as much as i was getting my pool opened for summer :)

anyway i joined the new guild and it is well worth it. nice group of people and i received some 110's from them for my template and a lrc suit to work my magery up.

i convinced a guildmate to come over from chessy monday nite and she joined new and is working a ninja/fencer stealth temp. she has room to place a house on this account and is considering to do so on seige !!!

i have another guy i'm working on as well.

not much adventuring done as i've been house bound working magery.
    i'll get out today and start working my taming. i took lore upto 69.9 and locked it till i get taming to 70. seemed like sound advice.

i'm liking rot though. totally breaks up the monotony. should be done for all shards imho.

regards,

Broadway Joe

24. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

The cap applies to the highest skill you are currently training.

So if you are training the skill in the 80's... your cap for ALL skill gain for that day... is the cap for skills in the 80's.

So you technically lose out on potential skill points by not maximizing your gains... I always recomment training a skills to 80 in conjunction then locking them... and moving onto the next one, until they are all in the 80's...

Of course, some skills need to be taken up to max asap to make the character playable... so I just lock all skills at 70 until that skills been taken care of.

You have to strategically plan your skill gain...

hope this helped.

25. TheScoundrelRico

TheScoundrelRico Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Secret Society

The system works based on the skill that is the highest. So if you work hiding at all, you are locked into the 4 point level for that day. This is why some people will lock higher skills until the lower skills catch up. If you lock hiding, you can get magery from 70-80 in two days...la

26. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

i see. so because my hiding is in the 80's the max skill gain i can get for 1 day, all skills combined is 4 points.

27. Bruin

Bruin Guest

ROT Across different skill levels works like this.

Lets say Magery is 82, and Eval Int is 75.

We know the Cap from 80-90 is 4 points per day.

The cap for 70-80 is 5 points per day.

So obviously I could gain Eval int from 75-80, OR magery from 82 to 86, but not both.

IF I train Magery from 82-84 (2 points), I've used up 50% of my available ROT points, 2 points used out of 4 points available. That means I have 50% of my ROT points available in other skill levels. So I could train Eval Int up to 2.5 points, 50% of 5 points maximum.

28. onthefifty

onthefifty Guest

kk that makes sense. thanks for the update.

nothing much new today. decided to gm my hiding and work my taming to 70.

no drama and meeting some good people.

walking everywhere, which is a big difference from prod shards. i never really explored the lands much as i've only been playing two years, so its been a good experience to familiarize myself with much of the mainland.

29. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

That is definitely one of the bonuses. Unless you have a character capable of gating, you learn the highways and byways of Sosaria the hard, blisters-on-the-feet way :p Unlike some on on the prodo shards who wouldn't know how to get from A to B on foot ( two or four ;) ) if you paid them in cold hard cash. Example of this on Atl - someone asking the EM's whether they could put a gate to Britain moongate by WBB *rollseyes* how damn lazy arsed can you get ??

30. T'Challa

T'Challa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Jesus wept...

31. Cat Crimson

Cat Crimson Guest

Yep precisely. That's one of the things I like about Siege. It's not perfect but it generally does breed a more self reliant kind of player than prodo shards. But then I usually walk around a lot even on those.