1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

You think EA does a crappy job with UO? You're right and it's not just UO...

Discussion in 'UO Siege Perilous' started by MerchantAtHome, May 12, 2009.

1. Sean

Sean Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Oh please....we're now comparing game design to creative accounting? :wall:

2. Xulgag

Xulgag Guest

its not a fair assessment right now. Everyone is hurting in this ecopnomy. MMO's are paid for with discretionary income. Some people have chosen to save that income for other purposes.

Further, I've been here since around 1997-2000, or whenever I joined. This complaint keeps comming back and back like a bad zombie movie.

3. Mogluk

Mogluk Guest

......BBBRRRRAAAAIIINNSSSSSS..............

4. I doubt that the dozen studios EA closed and the 1100 people who lost their jobs in 2009 would appreciate your characterization of this as "creative accounting".

5. Draxous

Draxous Grand Poobah

6. Sean

Sean Slightly Crazed

Cool, you call it whatever kind of accounting you wish. I still say "sarcastically" its "creative accounting" :next:

7. You understand that "creative accounting" means spinning the numbers to produce a favorable interpretation by readers, consumers, etc....

Are you making the argument that EA really lost more than 1 billion last year and their spin is to make that 1 billion dollar loss look good?

That makes no sense.

8. kelmo

kelmo Old and in the way
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Dread Lord

Crazy things are happening in the buisness world. Looking to be in debt/at a lose is happening. Trust me.

9. Sean

Sean Slightly Crazed

Actually if you read real close I'm saying. It's ridiculous to compare game design to finance! :wall:

10. I'm not sure it's creative accounting as much as it is evidence of poor executive management.

Does it strike anyone else as odd that their revenue was UP 15% but their net loss more than doubled?! If you consider the layoffs which were intended to lower overhead and thus minimize the gap in Net numbers, this doesn't add up! They lowered costs, increased revenue but still doubled their net loss?!

Several unknowns such as development costs for future releases could factor in but large layoffs are not likely to reflect an increas in development overhead.

Thus, without additional information I have to conclude that they have some serious operation and control cost issues.

11. Really?

You don't think finance has an effect on the number and quality of designers? You don't think it has an effect on the number and quality of programmers? Customer support etc...????