1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice

Your opinion - which do you like better...

Discussion in 'UO Homes and Castles' started by Irulia Darkaith, Nov 2, 2015.

?

Which do you like better

Poll closed Nov 6, 2015.
  1. The shadow stone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The classic castle grey

100.0%
  1. Irulia Darkaith

Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

2. DJAd

DJAd Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran

I'm using the mobile app so can't see the poll but the natural one looks way nicer imo

3. Petra Fyde

Petra Fyde Peerless Chatterbox
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

If I were planning to use coloured stone in a castle I would use it for 'accent' pieces like platforms or gazebo's, not as a part that is intended to integrate with the existing structure.

4. Kayhynn

Kayhynn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

What Petra said :)

Scribbles likes this.
  5. Irulia Darkaith

I'm so glad the views seem unanimous. I originally did it in plain granite, but found that when you stood on the 2nd floor it was just so much grey to look at, and everything blurred together. I decided to try shadow, the contrast with the yellow flowers was very appealing, but after about 10 pieces were placed I found it was too much contrast. I put it back to plain...then while doing the west side with grey I was having second thoughts - again -way too much grey, so tried shadow again. No wonder design and decorating takes me so long. :tinhat:

6. Kayhynn

Kayhynn Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

what about Dull Copper or another color?

7. Irulia Darkaith

Well the stupid part about all this is that I'm probably going to take both those structures down - trying to integrate them into the whole castle is still proving problematic regardless of the colour. Might just move it to the back of the third floor and do something different for the east and west towers.

frontSoFar.png

8. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

Yeah. I keep testing different things then tearing it all down. Having similar issues with too much muddle in the walls. I have started to use different colored floor tiles which seems to give some of the contrast I am looking for, but I took it all down again to the original design I posted in my thread.

I have to go mining again so will be a bit before I make drastic changes again.

9. Irulia Darkaith

I took the lazy approach and shard hopped over to Atlantic to do some shopping. A vendor over there sells 10K of granite for 6 million gold. Well worth the savings in aggravation even though I'm almost certainly supporting a script miner (they literally restock the commodity deeds within a day whenever I've purchased them). Worst part is while I was working I took the granite out of a container (dont' ask me why) and forgot to put it back. Lost 6K of granite so had to pop back over to Atlantic to buy more. If cross shard shopping isn't an option for you personally you can always ask someone who has shields - I'll help if I can but I only have a few shields. Depending on your vision 10K should be just enough for most designs.

10. Kirthag

Kirthag Former Stratics Publisher
    Professional Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor Evergreen

I enjoy the mining... it is therapeutic for me, kinda calms my OCD-ness as well. :)

Irulia Darkaith likes this.
  11. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Reporter Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I keep thinking of what I want to do and then I just get annoyed because I can't stand "gaps" in the design... And the thought of trying to raise things from the ground all the way up just turns me off.

12. Irulia Darkaith

It is a ridiculous amount of work - and yes, you have to work around the gaps. Pretty much 90% of my game time since the release of this expansion has been spent on castle design and unfortunately what I can picture in my mind and how it ends up actually looking are often quite different .

Kirthag likes this.