1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Author Wes Locher has teamed up with Stratics for a giveaway of his new book Braving Britannia. This book explores the history and impact of Ultima Online and includes interviews from current and past dev team members as well as many UO and Stratics community members. Click here for more details!
    Dismiss Notice

DCI/Lower Def Questions & Info [Mostly PvP based]

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Bombastic Fail, Sep 25, 2008.

  1. Bombastic Fail

    Bombastic Fail Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

    Aug 1, 2008
    Likes Received:
    I was curious of a few things && maybe someone can clear them up for me? (and many others who dont know; yell about it; or simply dont care to bother to ask.)

    #1. Is there a "CAP" on dci? I know the HARD cap is 45%; but can you OVERMAX it to over compensate? If so what is it? What happens if you go too far? (*** Will explain a few questions down. ***)

    #2. How much does lower defense your "dci"? Can you go into negatives? Can this be "negated"?

    #3. Does anyone know the FORMULA for DCI vs HCI after added into the Wep vs Wep Formula?

    #4. I know the caps on weapon Lower Defense is 50; and the Glasses being 30; and the formula they have worked out makes it work together to equal 65% lower defense. My question is does it "really" do that; or is the coding wrong? Like if you have a weapon with no Lower Defense; does it have the standard 30% with the glasses; or the 15% with the formula?

    My knowledge of UO may be wrong but this is what I have read/been told the most:


    1. DCI is hard capped at 45%. MAX is 70%. Over shooting this only OVERCAPS and puts you into negative.

    **Explaination** I sort of believe the over cap because I was dueling a buddy before and was 78% dci & he disarmed & lower defensed me and hit me LESS with no wep & lower dci :/

    2. Lower defense drops your DCI 25%. Meaning if you are 50 dci; it drops it to 25. If you are 45% it drops you to 20. If you have 15 it drops you to -10.

    3. DCI can INDEED go into the negatives if you dont have any.

    I thought I remembered somewhere reading if you have
    120 skill & NO DCI VS 120 skill & 45 HCI;
    They had a 72.5% chance of hitting you.

    4. Hard caps on weapon Lower Defense is 50; and the Glasses being 30; and the formula they have worked out makes it work together to equal 65% lower defense. (Repeated; I know.)

    Whether this is correct and/or how this formula works; I dont know.
    Maybe shine some light here?

    This is not made to RANT or EVERYONE COMPLAIN. It is simply for us to share our knowledge so some of us can understand how LOWER DEFENSE & DCI work. Maybe even get a Dev or whomever to read it && FoF it for us pvpers.
  2. Setnaffa

    Setnaffa Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

    Sep 13, 2004
    Likes Received:
    Alot of this is covered in the Warrior Forum, but I'll repeat the info here.

    1. If you have DCI 70%, it will drop to DCI 45% when under HLD.

    2. I'm not sure on this one, but it's been answered somewhere in the Warrior Forum. I believe DCI does go negative if you have less than 25 and you are hit by HLD.

    3. Chance to Hit Formula (Straight from Stratics Combat page):
    Hit Chance% = ( ( [Attacker's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Attacker's Hit Chance Increase] ) divided by
    ( [Defender's Combat Ability + 20] * [100% + Defender's Defense Chance Increase] * 2 ) ) * 100
    Minimum hit Chance% is 2% at all times.

    4. Yes. It really does that.
  3. Sir Kenga

    Sir Kenga Guest

    What's wrong whith lower defence on glasses? Why it doesn't simply sum?
    How much lower defence i will ge if i have glasses and weapon with 30 HLD?
  4. Farsight

    Farsight Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    May 12, 2008
    Likes Received:
    The glasses and the weapon calculate the chance of defense seperately. So with a HLD 50 weapon, you have 30% chance of applying the lower defense, then from the remaining 70%, you have a 50% chance (thus 30+35=65% total chance)
    The same would apply for a HLD 30 weapon, 30% from the glasses then 21% (30% of 70) from your weapon for a total of 51%.
  5. Sir Kenga

    Sir Kenga Guest

    LOL thanx i didn't know that =)
  6. Winker

    Winker Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    May 14, 2008
    Likes Received:

    If it were easy we would all be doing it
  7. ake

    ake Adventurer
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

    Apr 21, 2005
    Likes Received:
    as far i know HCI work in the same way of DCI, so 45 HCI is the HARD CAP but if someone hit you with a HLA weapon and u grab a zyronic claw (30hci) u still capped, u can use also lighting strike (bushido spell) to gain +5%hci (so 45+5=50) not sure about divine fury (chiv spell) i think u can't go over the cap casting it and u have also a DCI penalty.

    no anymods can be negative, even if u weare a sc -1 weapon with 0fc you have 0fc.

    what u mean with Wep vs Wep, there is no difference between weaps the mods make the difference and they work in the same way for all the weapons.

    and don't forget these formulas are nested.

    i never read about the 65% HLD cap... i dunno.

    my 2c. and i can be wrong.
  8. Vexxed

    Vexxed Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

    May 14, 2008
    Likes Received:

    How Combat works.. and yes the part about hitting / being hit is correct. Swing speed not soo much.




  9. Radun

    Radun Guest


    30% (from weapon) multiplied by 30% (from glasses) = 9%
    9% + 30% = 39%

    If you have a weapon with no HLD, and you're wearing HLD glasses, you will get the same effect as if you had 30%HLD on your weapon, wearing no HLD glasses.... 30% HLD

    Now for my question.... Is 45 the cap on HCI/DCI for PvM too? or PvP only?
  10. Radun

    Radun Guest

    Lightning strike adds 50%HCI, not 5%... 45+50=95
    You can so go into negative DCI/HCI... You get hit with HLA with 0 hci, you will be -25hci... If you fire lightning strike while in the effect of -25hci, you will have total 25hci.
    If you have 15hci, get hit with HLA, you will be at -10hci... if you fire lightning strike, you will have the total of 40%hci for that one hit.