1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Author Wes Locher has teamed up with Stratics for a giveaway of his new book Braving Britannia. This book explores the history and impact of Ultima Online and includes interviews from current and past dev team members as well as many UO and Stratics community members. Click here for more details!
    Dismiss Notice

[Developer Blog] Beauty hides in the shadows

Discussion in 'EVE News' started by EVE News, Nov 1, 2011.

  1. EVE News

    EVE News RSS Feed
    RSS Feed

    Apr 12, 2011
    Likes Received:
    In the upcoming winter expansion we’ll be upgrading the shadows in EVE. They will look a whole lot better, despite a barely measurable increase in GPU memory and workload. The upgrade should get rid of the nasty “jaggies” and blockiness while conserving the hard shadows that a dark and dangerous sci-fi game needs.

    So what did we do?

    Better resolution

    The first improvement makes better use of the available shadow map resolution. To render the shadow map we need to set up a viewpoint for the light source that encompasses the entire shadow receiver. Previously this was done in a correct, but not terribly precise way; we’d take the bounding sphere of the ship, build an axis aligned bounding box (AABB) out of it, and project this onto the light source’s view. For any ship that’s not very sphere-like, which is most of them (insert caldari jokes), that added a big margin with empty space for most viewpoints. So, we now take the AABB of the ship itself, and directly position the box in space, then project it onto the light. The result is that the lights have a much tighter idea of where to focus.

    Here’s a comparison showing the improvement in perceived shadow resolution, despite keeping the actual texture dimensions the same.


    Click to enlarge


    Better filtering

    Better resolution means the jaggies and distortions are a lot smaller – but they’re still there. We are already using Variance Shadow Mapping, but the poor resolution, some inaccuracies, bugs, and less than optimal choice of magic numbers didn’t do it full justice. We also weren’t filtering our shadow maps, perhaps because the combination of all these factors meant that a decent filter wasn’t making much difference anyway.

    However, all of that has now been fixed and the result is that most jaggies get smoothed out without losing all of the fine details or making the shadows (too) soft.

    Here’s a comparison with the old solution at the top, and the new filtering at the bottom. The left column uses 1024^2 shadow maps, the right 512^2.


    Click to enlarge

    Is this now perfect? Unfortunately not; every shadowing solution has its own set of trade-offs, and so does VSM. The new technique has its quirks, but we hope that these changes will look fantastic in 90% of the cases, and a little funky only in the remaining 10%; this should be a step up from the old shadows, which looked a little dubious 100% of the time.


    [​IMG] [​IMG]

    New to EVE? Start your 14-day free trial today.
    Returning pilot? Visit Account Management for the latest offers and promotions.