1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

if you like it then you should've put an S on it

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mervyn, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Mervyn

Mervyn Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

2. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend

Well there is, some of the plugins integral to the site simply don't work with SSL, that has been the root cause of why it's been removed when SSL has been tried in the past.

I will say we are looking at alternatives though, and to be honest, with HTTP2 just around the corner, it might be prudent for us to wait anyways.

3. Aran

Aran Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend -A-

There's no real good reason to bother with encrypting, either

4. Mervyn

Mervyn Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

well, ISPs may soon be injecting adds into websites for you, they'll be unable to inject anything into encrtpted traffic.

5. Crimson Hawk Moth

Crimson Hawk Moth Adventurer

Mine already does that. I get nice Adds across the top of statics and any other non secured website. Generally limited to unscheduled down time. DNS High jacking and Injection should be illegal, seriously reminds me of that episode of futurama where fri starts having adds in his dreams until he goes crazy.

6. Lorddog

Lorddog Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I hate websites where I always get the prompt of "do you want to see the unsecured items also"

7. Mervyn

Mervyn Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

also, Google favours secure sites in its search results.

8. Mervyn

Mervyn Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

We're now getting warning messages on browsers. This is the official uoforum, don't you think it's time?

[​IMG]

9. Aran

Aran Always Present

Nah, it's fine

10. deadite

deadite Sage
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend It's My Birthday

For a bunch of people who lost their flippin' minds over Punkbuster, you'd think this would be a bigger deal.

skett likes this.
  11. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran

Liked just for the thread title ;)

Scribbles likes this.
  12. Thrakkar

Thrakkar Certifiable

If you didn't put an S on it, then it's just half as awesome as it sounds....

13. Mervyn

Mervyn Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I've noticed some of the pages are now secure with a cloudflare , but not all, what's going on?
    (i'm running with https everywhere app)

14. Nexus

Nexus Site Support
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend

Depends, if a page contains a link (say in a signature or post) to an unsecured Website or image embedded from one, then it may throw that. Also Cloudflare caches all the pages on the site, if you're looking at older pages, it might be they aren't showing secure because the cached file isn't, and it'll be updated with a new one later.

15. skett

skett Lore Keeper
    Professional Supporter

What ever happen to Punkbuster being implemented ?

It seems to me that would put an end to the scripting and multi boxing ?

I'm not a computer savvy person but I remember the biggest complaint was them being able to see what all programs you are running? I have nothing to hide don't do anything illegal so woppy go ahead and look. And for those that are worried just use a different computer if you can afford the $300 for a cheap computer to run UO.
    Like I said I'm not computer savvy maybe I'm not understanding the full effect of the Punkbuster program.

16. The Craftsman

The Craftsman Certifiable

What happened to punk buster was the tin foil hat brigade went mental at the idea and it was pulled. Turns out paranoia won and cheats run rampant as a result.

17. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Stratics Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter The Valorian Knights

Yeah... punk buster died a fast death after it created a gigantic amount of complaints over privacy concerns and data collection etc. A lot of the complaints were here on Stratics at the time.

After seeing the overwhelming amount of people who didn't want it they just canceled it completely.

The Craftsman likes this.
  18. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Some people didnt want everything on their computer poked and peeked at just because some devs and GMs are too damned lazy to do their jobs.

Tanivar likes this.
  19. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

It was a huge matter of invasion of the PC... most were uncomfortable with the thought of someone snooping about their PC...

However some believe we allow basically a spy device to "track" their day to day information... Alexa, Cortana, Seri, Whatever you want to call it... it is what it is... What do you suppose Amazon, Microsoft, Apple and all them do with those devices??? You think they gather data? Monitor it??? Spy with it??? Never know do you... Just thinking about it. So many things we take for granted... and hackers are everywhere... what do you suppose would happen if they hacked those devices??? Nothing is "safe"... and nothing is free from being hacked.

Think of shows like iRobot and such... and you wonder how far are we from a world where they monitor your every move... Minority Report... If you went back 100 years or 200 years... and explained what you could do today... what do you think those folk would think of how we live today???

Punkbuster was a nice dream when it was brought up but to think it was the "end all" of cheating is fooling yourself.

20. Gidge

Gidge Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

Are you browsing privately? I only get that when I am in that mode.

21. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

@Gidge - Firefox delivers that message if an option for malware check is turned on. I've gotten it a lot with newer releases.

@Mervyn - If you are on Firefox, look in the settings for a shutoff switch. I don't recall exactly where it is and I have since rev-locked my version due to need of Flash support. There was a change to the settings after rev 50-something.

22. Aran

Aran Always Present

If Punkbuster was implemented, UO would have died.

23. Mervyn

Mervyn Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran

I would like to congratulate the stratics staff for making this site secure.

Commiserations to all those above who disagreed with me for the sake of disagreeing with me.

Captn Norrington likes this.