1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Author Wes Locher has teamed up with Stratics for a giveaway of his new book Braving Britannia. This book explores the history and impact of Ultima Online and includes interviews from current and past dev team members as well as many UO and Stratics community members. Click here for more details!
    Dismiss Notice

Parrying + Bushido = nothing?

Discussion in 'UO Players Corner' started by hampage, Aug 17, 2008.

  1. hampage

    hampage Guest

    I just used the stratics calculator and it gave a 5% chance of defending with those 100 parry 100 bushido and a shield on, man that sucks so much, I dont see the point in having parrying with that... the only option is to use a single slot weapon without a shield (30% chance with that), but that sux since you can get good attributes with a shield...

    I have got those results using the stratics parrying calcultor, anyone confirm me that its 100% correct?

    also, let me ask: the DCI will always be add to the parrying chance, so if you have 40% chance with a 2 hands weapon and got 45% DCI you will end up with 85% parry chance, is that correct?
  2. Teeshy

    Teeshy Guest

    I cant help much with your question - but this is from the first description on the Stratics Bushido page:
    "Samurai are more adept at parrying with a weapon than a shield – especially the two-handed variety. This happens automatically as their Bushido skill increases along with Parrying. The Bushido skill will actually lessen the chance to block with a shield.
    For specific numbers, see the Parrying page.

    They're pretty much a one or the other skill, not both =)
  3. Basara

    Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

    Jul 16, 2003
    Likes Received:
    Bushido is designed to act as a 2-handed weapon preferred skill, to the point of being detrimental to shield users.

    Also, DCI does NOT add to parrying chance.

    The DCI check and the parry check are two unrelated checks; the Devs has stated so in the past. Together, they increase your chance to not be hit, but they do not affect each other in the slightest.
  4. hampage

    hampage Guest

    since they do NOT add, could you please explain me or give me the formula used to calculte the parrying chance? what happens if you have 40% chance by parrying and 45 DCI ???
  5. Alrich

    Alrich Guest

    DCI goes into the calculation to see if the attacker's hit is successful and can land -- same calc as weapon skills, HCI, DCI is put through.

    IF the hit is deemed successful by that calculation, THEN parry calculation is done, to see if you parry the hit or not.

    Can't parry what missed in the first place! :)
  6. hampage

    hampage Guest

    ok, using mathematics if you first have a chance of evasion of 30% (parrying) and then you have a chance of parrying of 45% the total chance of no being hit is 75%.... so you just change names but the result is the same, parrying chance + DCI = total chance of not getting hit...
  7. Ash

    Ash Guest

    Not exactly, there are 2 different checks with each factoring in only 1 of the calculations.

    First you have the check to see if you dodge the hit altogether, that comes from your weapon skill and DCI. So if monster swinging at you has 100 wrestling to your 100 weapon, with 0 DCI you have a 50/50 chance of being hit, the DCI modifier is applied so if have 20% DCI you gain 10% (total of 60% chance to dodge attack). If successfully dodge the attack then parry is never figured in the calculation.

    If failed to dodge, then Parry is calculated, so 30% parry chance.

    So the basics are 40% of the time you will parry, and then you will parry 30% of those blows.

    So mob takes 10 swings at you, you dodge 6 times and leave 4 times up to parry you parry 1 blow letting 3 hit you. So you avoided 70% of the hits with combination of dodging and parrying.
  8. hampage

    hampage Guest

    so in your opinion with parry + bushido, is it usefull to have parry??
  9. Ash

    Ash Guest

    Depends on your style of play and rest of your template (primarily how easy/fast you can heal).

    Assuming a 120 weapon skill and Max DCI against a monster with 100 wrestling:
    Without Parry you will get hit aprox. 28% of the time.
    With 120 Parry/120 Bushido you will get hit aprox. 19% with 1 handed weapon and 17% with 2 handed weapon.

    Against a tough monster with 120 Wrestling:
    Without Parry you will get hit aprox. 32% of the time.
    With 120 Parry/120 Bushido you will get hit aprox. 22% with 1 handed weapon and 20% with 2 handed weapon.

    So getting hit 12% less often is pretty much the net difference. So then the primary thing that would come to my decision making is what is hitting me (as in how much damage do i take when i get hit) and if i have time to heal up before getting hit again.

    If your play style is to try and tank either large group of monsters or one really tough guy then yeah you going to probably want the parry to get hit less. But if you are jouster or sorts, and use hit and run tactics, that affords plenty of chance to step back and heal before going for next swing.