1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

Pub 86 - Traders Quest

Discussion in 'UO Test Center' started by Kyronix, Jul 18, 2014.

1. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I hope it stay as it is now :p

2. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Event Coordinator

I'm sure it will. :(

3. Kyronix

Kyronix UO Designer
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Some very good points with regard to public moongates were brought up. Here's what we decided,

You may use public moongates while doing the quest, however if you do...

You will not be eligible for any of the "rare" rewards, and you do not receive any distance bonus that would otherwise be applied.

FrejaSP likes this.
  4. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

Does this apply if you use a gate to go from Tram to Fel or vice versa? How does this apply if you start the quest in Tram but want to take it to Slim in Fel?

5. Kyronix

Kyronix UO Designer
    VIP Stratics Veteran

It applies if you use the gate at all, doesn't matter the origin or destination facets. If you want the rare rewards from Slim, you'll need to start the quest in Fel.

FrejaSP likes this.
  6. Dot_Warner

This pretty much means the best rewards remain in Fel.

I would nix this change and leave it as it was originally.

7. Faeryl

Faeryl 2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

If you want to do things the 'quick and easy' way, then take the hit and use the gates. If you want the good rewards, put in the required effort. That's how I see it, and I like it as it is now. Britannia isn't that big that it takes hours to get anywhere. Sure, it takes longer than a single minute, but the entire point is to get people running the lands again, not taking gates everywhere.

How I understand it, "if you use the gate at all" means that even if someone picks up the quest in Felucca and uses the gate to get to Slim quicker, they'll still take the hit to their rewards. So... I fail to see how it's really that bad.

You get to use the gates, and there's no quick jumps to get the good stuff as fast as possible. Fine by me.

Thom, Viquire, Kyronix and 1 other person like this.
  8. Dot_Warner

I'm not particularly concerned with the "ease" or the time it takes to run from city to city, notice how I didn't even mention that. Running from city to city isn't difficult and most only take a few mins, the only one that might be a little annoying is New Magincia.

The RP reason for not using magical travel for the orders is already tissue paper thin, thus Fel's unrestricted access was counter intuitive... So while this levels the playing field between the facets, it really smacks of a knee-jerk overreaction to what Riyana was saying. "Well if she wants full moongate access, we'll just make it pointless to use!"

It also feels like a yet another example of the dev's trying to lure people to Fel, ostensibly to be sheep.

9. R Traveler

R Traveler Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Can you travel using gate travel spell casted by other player?
    Can you travel using vet reward teleporter?
    If yes to any, does penalty apply too?

10. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Event Coordinator

I think this is somewhat an improvement, but I hope you will consider some of the other suggestions to make running the quest across the world and fighting the ambushers more engaging and worthwhile. In my testing the bonus seemed to only go to the city donation, not to the player.

At least make the bump for longer distance and killing ambushers a little more pronounced and maybe give the ambushers a rare chance of something interesting. This takes the nerfiest of the suggestions without any counterbalance.

EDIT: Haha I had no idea oil cloths could do that!

@Dot_Warner Since they toned down the Slim rewards, I think is actually makes it so that there is zero need to go to Fel to do the quest unless you are doing the Slim one--which you had to go to Fel for anyway. I don't object to Slim being Fel-only--he's a thief, and logically probably should be in Fel. His rewards are no longer ridiculously better.

I like that the city stones show how many trade quests have been turned in from a city. I sincerely hope this is the first step to offering more robust information for city governors as has been asked for many times.

#260 Riyana, Sep 18, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
  11. FrejaSP

FrejaSP Queen of The Outlaws
    Professional Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Patron The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Rewards need to be balanced after the effort. This fix will work for Siege too. If it's to easy to get the rewards, people will stop doing the quests after a month and not really care about the towns.

12. Faeryl

I hardly see it as a knee-jerk reaction, nor pointless. If your aim is to collect gold for your city, even taking the hit from the gate, you still accomplish that. And perhaps the speed at which you can do so will make up for the loss of bonuses from distance/ambushes. It makes sense to me that if walking yields a bonus to the gold, obviously it would yield the better rewards. Greater risk, greater rewards.

As for the devs trying to lure people to Fel as you say... Who really cares? If you don't want to go, don't go. Plain and simple. No one's forcing you to. But it makes perfect sense that Slim, a criminal, would be located in the more lawless land of Felucca.

Oil cloths, crafted by tailors, remove diguise kits. :)

13. Riyana

Riyana Operations

Oil cloths, crafted by tailors, remove diguise kits. :)[/QUOTE]

WHAT?! I swear I tried that... *tries it again*

Wow! That totally slipped under my radar! Thanks. :D

Faeryl likes this.
  14. Dot_Warner

@Kyronix

I've done 31 trade orders on GL and am still only have the 'Trader' title available. According to the publish notes from last week, I should be have 'Exporter' available. I'm also still only receiving single item orders, I should be getting 2-item orders.

Did something change?

15. Kyronix

Kyronix UO Designer
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Hrmm. Nothing has changed. Who were you delivering the trade orders to?

16. Dot_Warner

The Trade Ministers in the destination cities.

The "rare" rewards also seem to be MUCH rarer than they were on TC1.

EDIT: I'm at 32 or 33 now, and exporter just showed up

#266 Dot_Warner, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  17. Faeryl

I guess you guys weren't able to get the Skara Brae ferry to work with the trade quests? Not a huge deal, just a little inconvenient. :)

18. Dot_Warner

Gak!

If an order wants "bracelets," and you use the fill from pack option, it will grab a wrist watch if you have one as well! :spider:

19. SlayerofBunnys

SlayerofBunnys Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I just tried the ferry on Catskills and couldn't use it with the trade quest. Seems somewhat odd as the ferry shouldn't be 'magical'.

20. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

For very short distance sailing , I find rowboats a very handy thing to carry around with me. :)

21. Gidge

Gidge Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend BoE

nevermind! lol (it wasn't bad)

22. Thom

Thom Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

If your order is for rings it will grab wedding bands even if it is in a container.

23. Dot_Warner

@Kyronix The book rewards cannot be viewed when locked down, they say that you don't have access when double clicked :(

24. Kyronix

Kyronix UO Designer
    VIP Stratics Veteran

Thanks for the report. When the fix is published, existing books as well as newly created ones, will be able to accessed when locked down.

25. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor

Did anyone make it all the way up to tier 5 on TC?
    I'm on tier 2 and I can already see a problem when I make it to tier 3.
    Not enough room in my backpack.
    A full 5 line quest is going to need room for up to 121 items in my backpack (less if they stack)
    I, like most others, have things like spellbooks, runebooks, 1 or 2 alternate weapons, and other day-to-day sundries in my backpack.
    In order to do any 5 line trade quest that I might get without excessive cancelling looking for a quest with multiple stackables I'm going to have to leave pretty much everything except for a stack of gold at home. And that's on the shard where I have a home. On other shards I'm screwed.

Can you make the trade crates reduce the item count as well? Or allow them to be put in a giant beetle or pack animal?

I see most people never making it to tier 5 because it will just become too much trouble to clear out your backpack.

26. Faeryl

5*20 is only 100. Add one for the chest/crate... 101 items.

You should still have room for 24 more items even if the requested trade items are all non stacking.

27. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor

Yeah, my bad, I shouldn't try to do math this late at night.

But no, even at a max of 101 items, I'm still going to have trouble on a lot of my characters.

28. Frarc

Frarc Stratics Legend

Bit of a problem with trade orders in Jhelom. Some orders from the mage/alchemist butcher shop can't be bought in Jhelom. the shops are on the other island but we can't use the teleporter to buy them.

[​IMG]

29. Barok

Barok Grand Inquisitor

Time to get a boat :p