1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

Trade deal "curious item" drop is ridiculously low.

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Mama Faith, Aug 21, 2017.

1. THP

THP Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

was looking forward to a new global event .....NOW.... i dont want to even try this... i cant imagine doing 2-3-4 hours of suppose fun gaming time to get not even a crap deco reward...whats happened to the days of the treasures of tokuna etc etc... they WERE FUN

Tyrath likes this.
  2. Promathia

Promathia Crazed Zealot
    Premium Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

You realize the global event has 4 more parts yet to be activated right?

Zero likes this.
  3. TheGrimReefer

TheGrimReefer Certifiable

It seems to have slowed down a lot. I was pulling 3-4 per hour or so and now I'm luck to pull 1 in an hour. Of course the 1 I do get is one I have 4 of. I have yet to receive Rolled Map, Goblet, Folded Stole, or Scourge but have multiple of others.

4. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I have done this every day since it started, dozens of runs, and I still only have 2 items. Sometimes I get ambushed half a dozen times on one run, but still nothing. Between the low drop rate and my spawn being stolen by other players, usually tamers, since when the spawn lands in the guard zone I can't get my RC out, I'm really starting to lose the will to keep doing this.

5. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Things I have found while trying to do this event:

1. Doesn't matter if you have luck or not drop rate is still abysmal.
    2. Doesn't matter if you take someone with full loyalty that gets 5 line items to take or a newb doing 1 liners... drop rate is still abysmal.
    3. Seems whenever I fail ie: I die or quit the quest for whatever reason *(have to eat or go to work or bed or server down) getting ambushers to spawn next trip is near impossible and can take over an HOUR or more... Or won't spawn at all in 2 hours until I've successfully turned in a trade.
    4. Be in a clear area LARGE enough for that stupid flaming cart to spawn... walk where there are larger clear areas NOT near any housing, server lines, guard zones or dungeon entrances... etc... Clear open wood... you get FAR more to spawn this way.
    5. Seems when you get up to where the "payout" is somewhere close to 200k the ambushers quit spawning and it's time to turn it in... somewhere around 9 Ambushes...
    6. Demonic Amulets are the bulk of the "drops"... followed closely by phylacteries (Though I don't seem to get those just amulets).
    7. You can't use barding skills at all on the mobs... which sucks.
    8. You can go HOURS without getting a drop at all.
    9. If you keep walking after the stuff spawns it seems to draw everything nearby into it's spawn "point"... and that moves with you 2 or 3 times. This also includes gathering in other mobs already in the area like corpsers, reapers and even the occasional NPC or wandering healer...

All the clothes and such is not really a drop, nor are the blue hatchets and there are also blue staves as well... This also includes that cool looking bear mask that is green and black... not a drop... just interesting clothes they wear.

6. Zalan

Zalan Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

I've gotten 2 drops in 3hrs in Gargoyle land. I recommend leaving the crate empty in case you die. At least you won't res with items in your pack from the trade order. After 9 spawns fill up the trade order and turn it in.

7. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Poobah

Promathia is right.. a lot of folks used to complain they did not get an item during an arc to have a "keepsake" of it. These pieces could easily be that. Most likely just little clues to let us know the mobs ambushing are into some freaky crap...

Mama Faith and Larisa like this.
  8. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I've been on 3-liners since last night, still nothing. :(

9. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend 4H

It's difficult to believe someone who tells you the items are worthless when that person has also posted that they are playing the game afk to get the items. Why put your account at risk in the first place, by playing afk, and then compound that risk by describing it on a public forum, if the items have little to no worth?

Scribbles likes this.
  10. Larisa

Larisa Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership Team
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

How I see this part of the Arc? A way to help the cities because the citizens are afraid to run trades in fear of getting ambushed.....coffers are drying up, cities are in desperate need of supplies and WE are the ones to help....the items we find? Curious....what do they mean? We don't know....the detailed descriptions have me thinking that we MAY need them...but we don't know...right now I am in RP mode....help the cities fill their coffers and make the citizens happy and get lots of resources and pinks in the process :)

Zero, Tabby Kapak and MoxZinnia like this.
  11. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Grand Poobah

Did 5 liners on LA...not a single item...1 of the trade routes I was ambushed 6 times..each one had 5 attackers.....30 total in just that one route...

ShriNayne and Lady Kyo like this.
  12. Prince Erik

Prince Erik Seasoned Veteran

Well, consider that the 20th anniversary should be the epitome of the last 20 years of experiences encapsulated into a single event arc. If that's the case, then I think this event arc NAILS it.... changing how UO works after all this time probably wasn't going to be in the cards. ;)

13. Lady Kyo

Lady Kyo Seasoned Veteran

I don't know what happened, but I actually submitted a bug report because I have been doing trade quests for over 6 months now and do 5 line items. Sometimes I get no ambushers and get crap rewards from the trade minister and I DO walk to each city, I do not take the moongates. If I get ambushed, I have not yet gotten any "unique items" in the loot and still get a crap reward (132 dragon scales or 172 boards). So, I did submit a bug report on this that the reward is way to low and cheap for 5 line item runs and the "loot" is nonexistent after several days or running them.

Mama Faith likes this.
  14. Zero

Zero Adventurer

If you do have a life, maybe not be jealous of people who only have some pixels. Specially based on hearsay.

15. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I've noticed something odd, I'm only getting drops on Brigand corpses. Still only had 4 items but every one came from a Brigand! Two drops in 5 hours solid trade quests seems a bit mean.

Minerva Foxglove likes this.
  16. SlayerofBunnys

SlayerofBunnys Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I remember when the trades first came out I took a trade to Ilsh because I thought it was the only place to buy whatever the request was (I was mistaken). An ambush popped not far from the moongate with 3 of the 4 being paragons. Wasn't pretty and I never made THAT mistake again.

17. Mama Faith

Mama Faith Lore Keeper

I do think that Larisa has the right attitude about it and I started the new trade deals with that in mind. I am on a small shard and all of my governor friends' coffers were draining so adding to their treasuries is still enjoyable. I just wanted to know if others are having the same problem with doing the long walks (I don't run) and getting attacked at least 7 times/trade deal and no drops. Does luck play into it? RNG? the paths we take? how quickly we kill them? It's not in me to complain just to be complaining. Maybe I was asking too much but I just wanted to see a short post by one of the Devs saying, "Don't worry about the drops. It'll all come together in the end". Dye my hair blond and call me, "Miss Pollyanna". ;)

18. Uvtha

Uvtha Stratics Legend

While I think the drop rate is a bit too low, I have to agree. You don't have to collect every last item that appears. Get a few, and call it good, and wait for the next part of the story. Or obsess, play 12 hours a day and stress yourself out when you still don't get them all.

19. GarthGrey

GarthGrey Grand Poobah

There is plenty wrong when part of the population reports quite a few drops, while others reporting 0. That's not random, thats wrong.

Scribbles and Tina Small like this.
  20. Slayvite

Slayvite Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend

Whatever the next part brings.........god i hope it's nothing to do with Liches........i HATE liches!!!!!!!

Scribbles and Mama Faith like this.
  21. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Campaign Patron Event Coordinator

Nearly 20 years into UO, that lich laugh still makes me think I'm about to die.

Tabby Kapak, Giles, Scribbles and 5 others like this.
  22. outcry

outcry Slightly Crazed
    Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend

5 drops so far and way over 300 quest done so it is one drop every 60 ambushes for me....... So not worth it

Scribbles likes this.
  23. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Same here, I have a mortal terror of liches...these ones are especially nasty, then they laugh at you!

Scribbles likes this.
  24. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

What if we need to activate some kind of altar or portal with one of each item, but it only needs to be activated once for the entire shard - ?

ShriNayne likes this.
  25. Khaelor

Khaelor Certifiable
    Governor Stratics Veteran [cah]

I tell people I play with I have a PTSD flashback every time I hear a lich laugh.

I feel the stress hormones being released and prepare for my death.

Scribbles, Riyana and ShriNayne like this.
  26. King Greg

King Greg Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

They should of just of made these a reward from turning in a trade... 5% For 1 liner, 25% For 5 Liner.

This is dumb.

27. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Wasn't liches for me... was that strange demonic babble of the Gargoyle... I still remember being in the woods outside Britain hearing some odd voice say something I couldn't understand and then the screen flashed and the world turned shades of black and white... I had no idea what it was.

Tabby Kapak and Laura_Gold like this.
  28. Prince Erik

Prince Erik Seasoned Veteran

I still get angry hearing a HIND bleet since that's the first thing that killed my first newbie character 20 years ago.. For many years I made sure every darn hind I ran across died a quick death to the point that guildmates thought I was mentally unbalanced.

Oh and don't get me started on orc mages... grrr! ;)

Tabby Kapak, Scribbles and drcossack like this.
  29. Mama Faith

Mama Faith Lore Keeper

Mine is reapers and dryads. Killing the dryads is soooooo worth losing karma. Calm me, will you!

Tabby Kapak and Slayvite like this.
  30. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

That's explainable by one thing.

We're STILL using the broken, streaky, RNG of old. The one where you can fail 8 50/50 shots (like smelting valorite, for example) in a row, more times than a fair RNG should allow. Or miss 6 times in a row with a 90% hit chance, or get hit 6 times out of 10 by something with a 10% hit chance. I've seen all of these, FAR more common than basic probability should allow (and as a former Math Teaching major that had to drop out of college due to health as a senior, I calculated how out of whack they were back when I still could remember how to do the calculations).

Draconi was the first dev to seriously listen to complaints about the RNG, and found what the others couldn't. The RNG is prone to streaks, but since the streaks are EQUALLY LIKELY to occur at any point in the RNG curve, they balance out to where they cannot be seen by the standard "we'll run X million samples to look for outliers" type tests. Only by examining many, much shorter, runs (hundreds of samples) do you see the streaks.

He was testing a replacement RNG on his own time, and hadn't brought it in for official testing, when he and most of his coworkers were laid off post-KR.

31. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Other factors affecting the drop types:

Commonality of the category types

Phylactery Type - Undead: Spectres, mummies, skeletal warriors, liches.
    Demonic Amulet - Demon: Imp, Gargoyle, burning gargoyles (multiple types), Demons *
    Gorget - Reptile?: Drakes, Snakes (not had any of these drop, so can't confirm)
    Repond - Not got a drop off of Ogres, trolls or orcs yet.

*Do Hell hounds fall into the Demonic Amulet category? I've not heard one way or the other

All the remaining items are off humans, and may be off specific subtypes of humans (by dress)
    That's 8 different items off humans which average about 2 humans per ambush (but can be as low as 0, or as high as 4 of the 5, that I've seen)

There's where the drop imbalance would seem to be. Too many demons and undead, too many other items spread across too few humans.

#81 Basara, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    Giles and Dot_Warner like this.
  32. Larisa

Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Well today the RNG seems to hate me...as usual ;)

Done 2 trades:

Ambush 1:
    Wraith
    Lich
    Deamon
    Giant Serpent
    Brigand

Ambush 2:
    2 Brigands
    Skeletal Knight

Ambush 3:
    3 Liches
    Wraith
    Hell Hound

Ambush 4:
    2 Brigands
    Mummy

Ambush 5:
    4 Brigands
    Imp

Ambush 6:
    Lich
    Hell Hound
    Fiery Gargoyle
    Wraith

Second Trade:
    Ambush 1:
    Gargoyle
    Imp
    2 Brigands

Ambush 2:
    Drake
    Imp
    Brigand

Ambush 3:
    Hell Hound
    Giant Serpent
    Gargoyle
    Flaming Gargoyle
    Lich

Ambush 4:
    Flaming Gargoyle
    Brigand

Ambush 5:
    Skeletal Knight
    2 Brigands
    Flaming Gargoyle

43 Kills, no drops...YET! ~Sighs~

33. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Grand Poobah

You must really have Faith, to even dream of such a thing

Mama Faith likes this.
  34. Larisa

Well I guess it helps to complain a bit ;)

3rd Trade, 28 Ambushers Killed, 2 drops, Trapped Soul and Amulet...Still need Folded Stole, Goblet and Wand!! ARGH! lol

35. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Grand Inquisitor
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

The brigand fort needs the human drops on them ASAP.

Tired of getting undead and demons 90% of the time.

MalagAste likes this.
  36. Great DC

Great DC Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

People that run multiple accounts at once with trade orders get ambushed a lot due all of them carrying chests. This quest just feeds them like em events feed them. If your not running 5+ accounts at once your just a unimportant customer in their eyes. Im running just one client and have gotten 20+ drops but like most people its all amulets and trapped souls. Would have been nicer if they just added quests that you did and got the item specific to that quest.

37. Kylie Kinslayer

Had not been commenting on that situation but have seen it first hand. As soon as one ambush clears another one hits and they all jump on it at once.... smh

38. Great DC

Great DC Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

it doesn't even have to be illegally done. You can just run the accounts and have your chars auto follow with dbl clicking and just control one sampire to kill it all. extra accounts just mean more ambushers which in turn means more drops.

39. Kylie Kinslayer

True.. but if they are all in party and you have 5-8 different characters and they all attack it (which is being done).. all the chars get a roll at the drop instead of just one roll if you kill it on a Samp etc. .. and it only takes one char to loot the item(s).

40. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Grand Inquisitor
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

UO must be singlehandedly keeping the KVM switch manufacturers from going bankrupt... :tinhat::rolleyes:

41. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Grand Poobah

42. Laura_Gold

Laura_Gold Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

So hey.

I get about one ambusher item per hour.
    If I were in the Black Horn basement instead, I could get two Minax items per hour.

For the duration of this trade mission omeletstorm I will not be re-stocking my Minax items vendor. I will instead offer to trade two Minax items for one ambusher item, and that's my covfefe for today.

BeaIank and Uriah Heep like this.
  43. Marquis de Sade 209

Marquis de Sade 209 Seasoned Veteran

This is set up to benefit people that don;t even complete trade orders i have been running back and forth between minoc and vesper, no intention of completing trade order and am finally getting drops. The rewards aren't worth the effort more than half the time though, so this is better. It's sad that we have to do it this way to get drops.

Yadd of Legends likes this.
  44. Kylie Kinslayer

Well... on a positive note... Part 2 should start tomorrow :D

Marquis de Sade 209 likes this.
  45. Great DC

Great DC Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Then get turned off, then start again Thursday, then off again, then start again Friday........ LOLOLOL

46. Larisa

I finish my trade orders cus it's a super easy way to get pinks and fill the city coffers...on Origin that's a HUGE deal! lol

47. skett

skett Lore Keeper
    Professional Supporter

I think I have spent more time playing UO than I have in the last 3+ years and I still haven't collected them all yet...

I think I'm ready for anther long break already....

48. Promathia

Promathia Crazed Zealot
    Premium Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Standing still waiting for Ambushes to proc while watching youtube doesn't = being completely AFK putting my account at risk. Ambushes spawn? I play my character, kill the mobs myself, loot myself.

Also, I never said they wouldn't have worth. I'm a collector, of course I'm betting on them being nice to own in the future. What I AM saying is I don't believe they have any impact on the event arc.

49. Yadd of Legends

Yadd of Legends Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter

I've also noticed you can be ambushed standing still. It makes we wonder whether your chances of being ambushed are just as good standing still as walking? If so, why bother walking (except to actually deliver the order)? What do you think?

ShriNayne and Tyrath like this.
  50. Pawain

Pawain I Hate Skilling
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

Your playstyle proves the drop rate is ridiculously low. Or you wouldn't have time to do that.