1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Broadsword team is seeking alternative castle designs! Learn more and discuss here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Broadsword is hosting a 20th Anniversary Party for UO this September! Learn more here. Will you be there, Guest?
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice

NEWS [UO.Com] 20th Anniversary Grandfathered Castle Giveaway!

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

First off the 500 sovereigns was a free gift Mesanna tossed on our account (s), be gratefull.
    You didn't have to buy them.
    I am finding too many people of late feel when a gift is given the need to argue over it.
    If you cant remember what a gift is, google it... get out that big dusty book called a dictionary and look it up.
    Ask yourself this after you do.......
    Am I the fool to look a gift horse in the mouth?
    Be thankfull that person who gave you a gift thought enough of you to gift you something.
    They thought of you.

2. skett

skett Journeyman
    Professional Supporter

Wasn't the gift because of them giving the robes at a town hall event they had a lot of people pissed of about?
    The rode cost 500 s and we was given 500 to buy one?
    Maybe I'm remembering this wrong

3. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Grand Inquisitor
    Stratics Veteran Alumni

LOL. There *may* be that many accounts still running, but nowhere near that many players, I don't think. That's why I hate to see people leave, everytime you lose one player you lose anywhere from 6-30 accounts.

Captn Norrington and ShriNayne like this.
  4. Captn Norrington

Captn Norrington Stratics Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Campaign Supporter The Valorian Knights

Watching the chain of quitting really sucks too.

A player quits - 3 accounts lost.

Now the players wife quits because he is gone - 2 accounts lost.

Now their children quit - 2 accounts lost

Now some of that families friends quit because they are all gone - 4 accounts lost.

So just that one original guy leaving ended up causing 11 accounts and 4+ people to be lost. It happens more often than people realize.

5. Keith of Sonoma

Keith of Sonoma Babbling Loonie
    Governor

I wonder how many of these people are leaving because they are fed up with the scripting/multiboxing/cheating/RMT's? My guess is a good percentage of them.

Acid Rain, Parnoc, SugarMMM and 7 others like this.
  6. Uriah Heep

Stratics Veteran Alumni

I suspect more leave because of other reasons...grinds, direction of game, new bugs/old bugs that never seem to go away, etc.

Scripting doesn't bother me too much, especially the gatherers. Since resources went random I havent gathered one yet, I just buy from the scripters-I'm damned if I'm gonna spend my little bit of playtime hunting for a vein of a particular color, or particular wood, etc. The fix only helped the scripters, but you will never see the powers that be admit to their mistake.

And some leave just because their circle of friends has disbanded and moved on to other games, so they go with them.

7. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Campaign Supporter Gilfane

He was there an hour ago.

Scribbles likes this.
  8. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

A lot of the older players who have been here from near day 1 quit for many different reasons...
    Most of the reasons had nothing to do with the game.
    Those that did have a reason for in the game was not the multi boxing.
    Some was pvp, others said boredom of doing the same thing day in and out...
    The only one who was angry at the dev for anything was not on what you would guess in a million years!
    For the younger of Stratics readers this game is reaching 20 years of game play to the public.
    20 years of logging in, running around hunting, mining, chopping trees and others (hehe)
    Time takes its toll on a body sitting at the computer..
    Let me put that in a example you might understand better... its kindergarten through 4 years of college.
    I included the beta in that number...
    So yea some have left the game feet first... I have lost good friends over the years
    So don't forget the fact some who played the game died and there was no one who knew they had played UO.
    Being one of the oldest games out there for online will have its prestige but it also will have its detractors who cant help pull it down to the dirt.
    I have seen many in here toss handfuls on it.
    Its time for you to admit UO has you in its grip and its part of your day.
    Love or hate its become a habit.
    For me..
    Its become a way to relax and let the world do its thing without me.
    I cant stop the politics of the world.
    I can go hunt a Dragon...

9. Keith of Sonoma

Governor

I know of 6 players who have quit, for a total of about 26 accounts, who told me the reason was specifically because of multiboxing/scripting/cheating. But yes, different people do have different reasons for quitting. Whatever the reason, it's sad to see them go.

10. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

There are literally 100's of reasons people have quit over the years... beginning with getting ganked continually in PvP in the early pre-tram days... to having their house and everything they own stolen... still can't believe this was an ALLOWED practice... To having been hacked... I know at least a dozen who quit over that... As well as sheer Boredom... which is what is killing my "love" for the game... endless grinds with little to NO reward are NOT fun... and aren't going to keep me engaged in playing... doing the same tasks day in day out of nothing... Then there is the loss of community ..... newer shiny games with pretty pictures... which includes, EQ, WoW, LoTRO, ST, SW, FF11 and FF14... and many others... now with Aria, Shroud, and Morrowind in the mix... all wanting attention...

For me the new No Man's Sky update just hit... and I do enjoy that game... way more than I ever thought I would... There are countless reasons people leave... what we need to find out is what makes folk STAY... and focus more on that.

ShriNayne likes this.
  11. Pawain

Pawain Grand Inquisitor

Bring a tamer to LS. We are going to be doing a lot of group activities when they open the new area.

Last week two returning players showed up. We are filling their stables up with pets. They are loving it.

MalagAste likes this.
  12. MalagAste

Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

What times and how late are you all on?

13. Lady Storm

Lady Storm Crazed Zealot

What keeps us playing UO..... good question and I bet its different for each of us who do.
    I like that if I only have an hour to run around I can pop in do the small stuff and go... I don't need to do a dance to get gone.
    I am free to do or not do anything! What I do miss is something that is very hard to find....
    Back in the early days guilds hunted and had set days for stuff to do... you had people to talk to at the bank...
    personally I think the chat stopped a lot of this... its got its good points but there are days I wish it was not in the game

14. Polaris75

Polaris75 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

There is nothing to hunt... Back in the day you could try 12 different types of monsters (lvl 5s of each dungeon) to try to get vanquishing/power/silver weapons. Now it is you either go to Abscess and farm... or go to Shadowguard/Exodus/Scalis. There is nothing else.... and nobody can hop in and do those. They are grinds..... That's what I'm complaining so much about.

There is 0 point in killing liches, lich lords, or paragon lich lords... there is 0 point in killing paragon balrons... there is 0 point in "hunting" anything. And if you go do Shadowguard... you best have a 15+ year account so that you get a super, ultra, mega, jumbo luck bonus at the end of that grind...

If Mesanna and them want to save Ultima, they will completely re-work the loot system..... again. And they might as well let us imbue 12-14 property items now as they have destroyed crafting. Someone asked in Gen. Chat on Atlantic yesterday: "So... is blacksmithing dead now?" Uggh... far worse than that. You better make 12 luck suits for throwers and learn to multi-bot 24/7 on 8 different shards with 96 different characters.... like those pro "farmers" do. That's the only sort of farming that's left. And Mesanna has said that it's completely legal.....

petemage, ShriNayne and Scribbles like this.
  15. Swordsman

Swordsman Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Redesign on the loots of regular monsters will certainly make the game more interesting to play. Different dungeons and facets give special items which have useful properties for a specific class. The properties of looted items from regular monsters are not so good right now, we have 99.9% chance to get useless stuff even I have 2500 luck.

16. Scribbles

Scribbles Long Live The Players
    Professional Alumni

Quite literally the only reason I still have one account up is to help players.

Long live the players.

ShriNayne likes this.
  17. THP

THP Always Present

Hey thats not bad odds methinks...maybe ....obvoiusly a lot will reopen old accounts aka like me...
    But a very fair raffle methinks.....the devs have actually got there heads screwed on this time.....
    the coffers will soon fill ....only $9.99 a ticket for the chance of an Atlantic castle...pretty much a no brainer
    THP = rolls the dice 3x

18. THP

THP Always Present

And what keeps me playing and paying....although i dont play much knowadays....

spoiler - 18 years of hurt....

im here till there is no more UO

19. petemage

petemage Lore Keeper

I paid my account 4 years in a row and all I got was zero sovereigns :rolleyes: I'm gratefull for being not worth a virtual gift without another 6 years.

Polaris75 likes this.
  20. petemage

petemage Lore Keeper

From the latest Meet & Greet:

Guess you kinda got your answer there. Otherwise there would be no reason to buy *their* horrible expansion (aka "newer areas of the game") then..

21. Uriah Heep

Stratics Veteran Alumni

Kyronix already said quite a while back that they 'adjust' the loot to encourage people to play the newer content rather than the old. That's why a level 7 t chest has loot that totally sucks-they want you grinding at Shadowguard. Otherwise they would look bad releasing stuff no one was doing.

And from personal experiences, I am still not convinced that luck plays a part in that t-chest loot equation.

petemage likes this.
  22. DevilsOwn

DevilsOwn Stratics Legend
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

sincerely love this

23. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

Agree with you there... and in all honesty... I am not convinced luck works on anything but the new content stuff as well. Unless some random multi-boxer finds a glitch like Abscess..

24. Pawain

Pawain Grand Inquisitor

Community events are between 7 and 9 central depending on when Teara starts them. Donovan is around early afternoon central time. I am also. I stay till around midnite. Sometimes they stay later.

The guild has turned into a taming guild right now. We are all loving that.

Last night the community event was Bedlam champ. That took forever... We had some members of a Fel spawn guild there and DrCossack was there.

You and anyone else can just holler out for Donovan or Allen in Gen chat. Or hang around Luna stable.

We can help you find stuff and Donovan will immediately show you his rune library.

25. Kylie Kinslayer

Kylie Kinslayer Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend

That one does take a while.. but.. the Naja has made it a lot easier thankfully.

26. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

My niece said if I win she's moving into the castle, she thought I meant real castle.

MoxZinnia, Scribbles and petemage like this.
  27. Mr Bug

Mr Bug Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

If by some freak chance I win one, it is going to be on Lake Superior.

28. Finley Grant

Finley Grant Babbling Loonie
    Campaign Supporter

Why the hell would you do so?

29. Mr Bug

Mr Bug Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

Because It is my home shard. Not interested in it for the value of it. I could care less about how many platinum it is worth on another shard. Played for 20 years and I have no desire to sell it if I did win it. Why would I want to put it on any other shard?

30. THP

THP Always Present

have u tried to buy a castle on LS from one of the guys/gals that own +5 each....prices are pretty damn reasonable on LS...unlike Atlantic which are simply breathtakingly stupid

petemage likes this.
  31. Parnoc

Parnoc Lore Master
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I didn't think you could customize grandfathered houses, I thought they were all classics?

32. THP

THP Always Present

ohhh btw... Id love to swop you a LS castle for an Atlantic one if u win!!!

Finley Grant likes this.
  33. Prince Erik

Prince Erik Journeyman
    Stratics Veteran

I've been told that you could as long as you don't change plot size but I've also been told that's not correct so I never tried it for myself. ;)

34. MalagAste

What good would that do if it's not grandfathered???

If I win I guarantee I'm not putting it on Atl either... wouldn't play or go there. Don't want to "trade" or Sell it since well the whole idea of having it Grandfathered is to get MORE storage... and have a second house on the account... not to make a buck on Atl...

I will say though that if I win one of Clops' homes there in Luna.... I WILL be selling that.

ShriNayne likes this.
  35. SugarMMM

SugarMMM Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

If I get lucky I will claim my winnings on Sonoma.

36. Dot_Warner

Dot_Warner Crazed Zealot
    Governor Stratics Veteran Britain [BRIT]

If the plot footprint is customizeable you can, grandfathered status has nothing to do with it.

37. Archnight

Archnight Legendary Crusader
    Moderator Professional Supporter Kingdom Reborn [2.0]

Guys let's not forget that not everyone plays on Atlantic, wants to sell it or has multiple accounts... this castle will be grandfathered (doesn't count towards the housing limit). The person that wins can trade it but will most likely lose it's grandfathered status in the process, so the advantage is to claim it on the shard you actually play

ShriNayne and Kylie Kinslayer like this.
  38. Finley Grant

Campaign Supporter

for the price of an ATL castle in those special location you can run one or two extra account till UO finaly ends and buy a castle on that shard plus having enough gold to get all your toons suited up and so on....

39. Slayvite

Slayvite Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend

Oh no.... i would only place the castle on my home shard as the extra 20 platinum does not interest me .....honest!! :eyes:....and by saying this i may increase my chances of getting my name out of the hat?
    ....yeah right. lol :devil:

Although i do get the very strong feeling that if my name was drawn then Mesanna would say...." oh hell no, not him...pull another name". :gee:

THP and Fridgster like this.
  40. Finley Grant

Campaign Supporter

to make things right, i dont want to trash talk the persons who want to place those on their home shard, i just want to highlight that there is a valid reason for getting it on atlantic and then use the gold do more stuff in the end.

iam pretty sure that there are people who are not aware how the prices on Castles are around Sosaria..

THP likes this.
  41. Fridgster

Fridgster Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

You could offer to trade it back to the devs in exchange for the phoenix to be reverted :)

Polaris75, ShriNayne and Slayvite like this.
  42. Keith of Sonoma

Governor

How exactly does gold from an ATL castle get turned into "run one or two extra account till UO finaly ends"????? Enlighten me please.

Kylie Kinslayer likes this.
  43. Finley Grant

Campaign Supporter

iam sure i saw that some folks sell GTC for gold. (if this is now allowed i never mentioned it)

44. Lord Nabin

Lord Nabin High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
    Professional Stratics Veteran Supporter Glorious Lord ACW

If you win - Place it where you live regardless of the shard. It is something special, something that will be an honor to you and your good fortune. No need to change anything about your game play for a prize, gift or someone else's opinion.

*tips a glass of Good Old Moonglow Red in salute towards you and your friends*

Best of luck each and every one of you.

45. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

I win I'm keeping it and placing it on great lakes

Lord Nabin and MalagAste like this.
  46. BBear

BBear Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

I rarely play ATL but if I win it will be on ATL and for sale!!!

47. Fridgster

Fridgster Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

If i win I'm going to place it on atlantic then demolish it :devil:

Scribbles likes this.
  48. Pawain

Pawain Grand Inquisitor

I would claim it on Atl and sell it. I have many hungry pets to feed!

I would love the extra storage from a castle but I prefer to live in my 18 x 18 houses.

49. Minerva Foxglove

Stratics Veteran

I would place it on Europa and never sell. I dont need more gold, I dont care about gold or crazy expensive items. I play for friends and fun with the guild. That gold would just spoil the daily life in Sosaria for me with lots of "work" I like, and perhaps for my friends as well. I would get attension from ppl that I normally awoid , I would "be someone" in their eyes and get fake friends. Just what happens in RL. But the castle I would decorate for months and ower and ower and UO life would go on as normal , just the way I like it!

Lord Nabin, ShriNayne and Tjalle like this.
  50. Acid Rain

Acid Rain Lore Keeper

Thank you this anniversary giveaway !

*Hopes to finally have somewhere to put his stuff*

Good luck to everyone :)