1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

NEWS [UO.Com] Looking for New Castle Designs

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Uriah Heep

Uriah Heep Grand Inquisitor
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni

But the question, or statement was,. if they can build a tool to let you build a custom castle of your design on test center, why not just release the tool to the public on all shards and call it done?

2. petemage

petemage Lore Master

Ah, now I see. The pains of english not being your native language :D I doubt though they want to open that can of worms on production while on the other hand making it TC-only would limit any possible damage/exploits to minimal impact.

ShriNayne likes this.
  3. Slayvite

Slayvite Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend

I think they realized that most castles are built around "incorrect placement" objects, trees, rocks, ect.
    To re-do a castle plot you would need to "flatten" or re-move the objects, which would need a server patch......for every server and offending castle.
    That is a huge amount of work they really don't want to undertake.
    The only other option is to re-wright the house placement rules which would open up another can of worms altogether.

Again, mouth opened before brain engaged. ;)

petemage and ShriNayne like this.
  4. Jovi

Jovi Journeyman

There are already lots of worms, another one won't make any difference. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

petemage and MalagAste like this.
  5. Merus

Merus Crazed Zealot
    Stratics Veteran CasteoftheForgotten

I'm not sure why this would be mandatory. If you have those kinds of objects in your courtyard it would simply block the conversion just like it blocks house placement now. Only castles with non-blocked court yards or newly placed castles would be able to take advantage of the new design, but that is very doable. Not every castle has to convert.

6. Foxmire

Foxmire Visitor

Are they still taking design ideas? Just recently came back to UO and I see this castle design challenge. When is the stop date?

7. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran The DarkOutlaws, TDO

Were suppose to get a house tool on the test center of a empty castle plot so we'll be able to build our castle designs on it. When will get it ?no idea hopefully soon.

8. THP

THP Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

as this idea been canned then b4 it even left the building so to speak

9. Cyrah

Cyrah Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

When is this supposed to happen? Not tool part, gave up on that. The actual changing of an existing castle to another design.

ShriNayne likes this.
  10. Archnight

Archnight Legendary Crusader
    Moderator Professional Wiki Editor Wiki Moderator Supporter Kingdom Reborn [2.0]

Right now it's all up in the air... don't think it will happen till after the anniversary at this point :(

ShriNayne likes this.
  11. skett

skett Sage
    Professional Supporter

I hope they don't rush out any new designs like they do pubs I would rather them take a few more months on it and get it right.

Scribbles likes this.
  12. Larisa

Larisa Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership Team
    Editor Reporter Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Editor Fallen Lords

Same...do the castle giveaways like they planned.....that's fine...but once the castle-building tool is actually ready THEN have the design contest...start it all over from scratch. I know they had planned on having it by the 20th anny but sometimes things do not always work out as planned. What will this new pub and all the new content and work they have put into that PLUS the planning and preparation for the live party I would rather them put the castle-building tool on hold for now until all this other stuff is done and they have more time to focus on that.

Minerva Foxglove and skett like this.
  13. skett

skett Sage
    Professional Supporter

I Agree !

14. petemage

petemage Lore Master

Plot twist: It will never be *ready*

Scribbles likes this.
  15. THP

THP Always Present
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

so will it happen or wont it.... i like the other +200 vets have prob bought a extra castle in the past 2 months ....ready to play with it on our home shards... shall i now sell it at a discounted rate becaue this aint gonna happen anymore... i guess the /200 vets left will be more than dissapointed

16. Slayvite

Slayvite Babbling Loonie
    Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend

It's still gonna happen, just not yet.
    They are still building the test center tool. (from last M&G)

17. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Lore Master

So I guess we won't be getting new castle designs for the 20th Anniversary after all. With no idea when the design tool will be available or if it is even possible to do it, maybe we might see this contest end for the 21st Anniversary....:(

18. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I still offer to Mesanna that I'll build all of the Castles I submitted for design brick by brick if she just gives me access somewhere to do so...

19. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Lore Master

What?? Give you powers?? Won't happen... *sighs* We never get new castles at this rate!

20. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

I know sad isn't it... though I do understand.

ShriNayne likes this.
  21. Polaris75

Polaris75 Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran

Just give us customizable plots... common. Everyone is basically building "giant borg cubes" with all the new stone blocks anyway. I for one will not... I would have a very, very excellent design for my own castle though, I promise. No, it would definitely not be a "borg cube" as I for one like open areas too......... The people who want cubes can build them with either rubble walls or the new pieces already. Just let us build our own.... that's the cool way.

22. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Lore Master

I agree, it seems a bit odd to me to complain about 'giant Borg cubes' after giving everyone the tools to make them...there are plenty of hideous 18x18 monstrosities all over the place...

23. skett

skett Sage
    Professional Supporter

I have to agree as well just keep it simple, and give us a customizable 32x32

24. railshot

railshot Sage
    Stratics Veteran

Another vote for a custom castle plot

Polaris75 likes this.
  25. TheGrimReefer

TheGrimReefer Lore Master
    Stratics Veteran

I also agree on the custom castle plots. You could just add 31 x 31 on the house placement tool. Also with this new castle design, do you think we could possible get some water tiles? For years people have been asking for water tiles but we have yet to get them or an explanation of why they wont give us them.

Jovi and railshot like this.
  26. MoxZinnia

MoxZinnia Adventurer

Hmm, will it be possible to even get a castle sized plot on Test to use the tool? I am amazed how many house spots are taken Test Center. I hope there is a plan so that people who want to construct a castle fr the contest, can.

Tina Small likes this.
  27. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Lore Master

I thought they would give us a house design tool such as the one that was freely available before Malas came into being...it was a stand-alone tool that was usable outside of the game itself.

28. Tina Small

Tina Small Stratics Legend
    Stratics Veteran 4H

This is what I keep thinking too. Kind of a waste to give us a tool that only a handful of people have a chance to use.

Cyrah and MoxZinnia like this.
  29. Riyana

Riyana Operations
    Administrator Moderator Professional Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Campaign Patron Event Coordinator

As this has been pushed back until a tool can be developed, I am unsticking this post.

ShriNayne likes this.
  30. Jovi

Jovi Journeyman

Why not use the 18x18 tool and just make it bigger plot. And allow only 31x31 to sit over any terrain only if its first placed as a legacy castle and then converted to the new 31x31. This won't open up the whole world with more land for castle and keep it to existing spots. This should cut down the time to make a new tool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

railshot and Minerva Foxglove like this.
  31. skett

skett Sage
    Professional Supporter

32. railshot

railshot Sage
    Stratics Veteran

See, this is logical, provides great improvement, in UO's spirit of sandboxiness, will occupy players for months and years, has been asked for my many, and does not require many developer hours. So - NO.
    The UO way is to run a contest for a few months, select couple of rigid designs like many we had before, spend time building and debugging said designs, release them and watch 99% of castles stay as they are because redecorating something that is still not quite what that particular player wanted is so not worth the effort. But hey, we won't have any Borg cubes. Oh wait. Too late for that.

Jovi likes this.