1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

NEWS [UO.Com] Publish 103 Keep Design Contest

Discussion in 'UHall' started by UO News, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

:D I have a list - based on the picture thread - of places to see. Darn thing keeps getting longer every time I look at the designs.

If you still have pictures of it, I did a very small version of Mergaras Castle. The NW section was able to be fit into my plot but the rest couldn't be done. From the doors North and a shrunken section of the structure in the NE. When I do things like this I look at how I would lay out my crafting areas as well as what would be public, etc. TBH I'm torn between that implementation and the one of MissEchos keep.

But yes ... you have a fan! Your designs are amazing. :thumbsup:

2. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

Agree on #16, however I like 39 better. My preferences tend toward multiple levels with some texture differences in the exterior appearance. But like I said ... I have a long list to view before casting my vote.

3. Mene (DF)

Mene (DF) Seasoned Veteran
    Stratics Veteran

Ui echt?... ähm.. I mean truely - really :D - must have a look in game *Smiles* where is it? Shard Koordinates?
    And yes I still have my plans from the Mergaras Keep :)

4. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

I apologize. I should have been more precise. The replications were done in the house customizer tool and not commited (yet). I did the mini-castle and then waited for this keep run to see what came up. I need to go and take pics of my version of MissE's keep, then I'll get one of what I do with your castle.

All this fussing around with different designs at least keeps me busy. My current place was built several years ago and needs to be replaced.

5. pigrose

pigrose Visitor

This keep is submitted, but i don't see it on vote list.

Attached Files:

Tjalle likes this.
  6. MoMan

MoMan Adventurer

I would actually like to see this one where abouts is it?

Disregard, found them.

#156 MoMan, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  7. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

A few of the ones I recalled to were actually private and also for some the recall spot was on a different Keep next to it. Still at least we didn't have that annoying delay....

8. Lady Michelle

Lady Michelle Sprite Full SP
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend The DarkOutlaws, TDO

mine wasn't added either it's next to # 131

9. Lady Michelle

this I don't get being private how could they be entered into the contest? I thought they had to be public to enter

ShriNayne likes this.
  10. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

One that I went to, I was greeted by a Bog Thing that had spawned on the plot. Whee!

ShriNayne likes this.
  11. WildStar

WildStar UO Baja News Reporter
    Reporter Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Benefactor BRPA

My entry # 240 - A Practical Keep Design?

The exterior is the basically the same as the traditional keep in-game except for a few changes/additions/embellishments. It has an open floor plan, one set of steps from the 1st to 2nd floor, two sets from the 2nd to 3rd floor, and teleport tiles to the roof from the 1st and 3rd floors. (Oh and there is a secret door somewhere on the first floor.) I know it is very square but 99.9% of the space is usable.​

1st Floor.jpg
    1st Floor​

2nd Floor.jpg
    2nd Floor​

3rd Floor.jpg
    3rd Floor

Roof Front.jpg
    Roof Front

Roof Back.jpg
    Roof Back​

12. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Took a few attempts to get to some as well, as many as 7 or 8 attempts and at another I ended up in the sea just off the coast, I couldn't teleport back to land, I was just stuck on the water, I never got to look at that Keep! Weird things going on...

13. MalagAste

MalagAste Belaern d'Zhaunil
    Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

14. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

I had several that I got bounced back (or whatever) on. Screen went dark, transport noise, then I'm in Brit again. But in all my cases when I did get to the house, there was an animal or bird moving off. That could have been the problem - and no "location is blocked" message.

I had made a rune for the brit post and put it n the supplied runebook. Then used SJ to get back from the keep to Brit. Can't say I got dumped in any weird places though.

15. Eärendil

Eärendil Legendary Mall Santa
    Stratics Veteran Supporter The Squirrel Empire

Mine are 111 and 197 :)

Flagg likes this.
  16. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Seems to be a few teething problems with their system, but I still think the recall part is working better than the gates, the delay last time was annoying.
    I wonder how many that were submitted are missing, I've heard a few people say theirs wasn't on the stone. I'll ask the Guildies later.
    @MalagAste it's a shame yours is not on the list I really liked it, I noticed from the numbers you short-listed we liked quite a few of the same ones.

17. MalagAste

Governor Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Royal Knight

Yeah, I was really bummed that that one didn't make the list... I'll try again another time or maybe next time I'll make a Castle size version of it... but made me sad it didn't get on the list even though obviously I know how to do it since the others all made the list... And it can't be that it was somehow disqualified since there were what 3 blank plots and 1 private home on there... and one with no real entry point but a ladder??? which IMO is just wrong... but whatever it is what it is.

18. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

Hmmm shame we won't get any explanation either, some really nice designs seem to have been missed out. Of course all the ridiculous ones made it through, like the totally blank marble cube, the empty plots and the set of marble walls with no windows...

19. Mrsbug

Mrsbug Journeyman

I saw your keep in the list

20. Lady Michelle

I don't see their keep on the list I see one that looks something their keep #51.Could you post the number please

21. pigrose

pigrose Visitor

#51 is one of our design. We desgin those keep in pair, same structure but different material.

I've asked a GM about this issue. He said we have to contact mesanna to reply this contest issue. If you have the same issue, plz email mesanna asap.

Lady Michelle and Pawain like this.
  22. Delores D

Delores D Journeyman

The voting for the keeps has started again. There is a list of the top 20.

23. Drakelord

Drakelord Crazed Zealot
    Governor Contributor Alumni

I voted for Robin's Nest

ShriNayne likes this.
  24. Draza

Draza Journeyman

At work, could some post the numbers of them from the original list?

Or are they not posted like that this time?

25. panoramix2009

panoramix2009 Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend quebecois forever

26. panoramix2009

27. MareJadeSky

MareJadeSky Lore Keeper
    Stratics Veteran K^S

some of the top 20 are a joke, they must paid a lot money to have people vote for them

leloyon, Becca, Brockis and 2 others like this.
  28. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

The numbers in this round are nowhere near what they were last round. If you remember a name, look in the stuff panoramix2009 just posted. Good example - first round #114 (The Apadan) is number 14 this round.

29. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

Agree. I went thru the list like I did the last round ... round 1 (all 20):
    1. Run around the outside to get an idea of appearance. Unimaginative Borg units were dropped here.
    2. Look around inside at room sizes and how *I* might make use of them and placement.
    3. Look for and use teleporters.
    4. Question self: how would this work in Fel - just in case?

Round 2 - survivors of round 1 (only 5):
    1. Stairways and halls ... how wide are they? How many were only 1 tile wide?
    2. Review usage based on what I know I would be doing with it.

Round 3 - finalists in my list (last 2):
    Simply repeat all of the above steps to see if I missed anything.

My vote went to one that I believe would work well for what I would need/use it for. It also had some sort of "feel" to it - whether different texture tiles or whatever. All this took a while but I think I voted for the one that best filled *MY* desires were I to place it.

Draza likes this.
  30. Draza

Draza Journeyman

Gonna have to do the same. About 5 hours till off work and can do it.

31. Khaelor

Khaelor Certifiable
    Governor [cah]

How many have no stairs whatsoever. I don't get it, not like there wasn't room for them to place stairs in open floor plans.

32. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

Okay ... here's how I see it. Depending on interior design, stairs might have shrunk usable space considerably in an area where it would make it unusable or difficult. To me a decent stairway is going to be at least 2 wide, making a loss of 2x6 or 12 tiles from the floorplan (not including rails or walls). Use a teleporter and only 1 tile is lost.

Stairs also remove several tiles from use in the floor above, teleporters ... one. Do I like all TP houses? Not really, but I can understand why they might get used exclusively.

I might note this: For my own fun, I attempted to replicate a design or two in an 18x18 plot. In a couple cases not all the design would work, so I used only a portion of the original. Also in that process, I had to eliminate stairs and use teleports in between upper floors. Example is "Small #115" which is next to entry #18 in this round. It's public if you want to look around.

#182 Spartan, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  33. Khaelor

Khaelor Certifiable
    Governor [cah]

To me, again my personal opinion, stairs are a major part of the problem solving needed for good design. For a roleplaying game, prefab houses should all have stairs incorporated in their design. If you cannot design them in there, then I think the design needs to be rethought. Again those are my opinions on the subject.

I appreciate your process for narrowing down your choice.

Tjalle likes this.
  34. MalagAste

I like #9 best... Open, easy to get around, not a lot of wasted space... has stairs which IMO is VERY important when moving stuff about the house... and it's not a blank cube.

35. Drakelord

Drakelord Crazed Zealot
    Governor Contributor Alumni

I will admit that I did not visit every keep on the last round, I did check several out that were very popular. I went to every one of the house/keeps this time and again this time I saw that Robin's Nest was the best of them all.

uokings7 likes this.
  36. Pawain

Pawain I Hate Skilling
    Governor Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend

I thought I did not visit as many this year. But I had already seen 19 of 20.

I Like 9 as a Keep. 12 is good. 20 is interesting. I dislike only 2 out of the 20.

:cheerleader:I think the players did a great job! :cheerleader:

37. MalagAste

#9 is mine and I like it a lot... I did like 12 but could see that adding walls to that would be difficult and either leave gaps or be a PITA to do... mine also allows you to put ladders on the front so you can just run right in/out...

Pawain likes this.
  38. panoramix2009

#9 is nice but
    i dont like the wall (corner)
    on every floors
    Screen Shot 11-12-18 at 07.21 PM_LI.jpg

39. MalagAste

They allow you to add walls without leaving "gaps" or having to do things which are a PITA without leaving you open to getting killed in your own house had I just left those spots "empty"... without a post as MissEcho did in her castle design... If you just leave them there then you won't get attacked in your own home if you live in Fel or on Siege. I'm not a fan of leaving it in either but I'm also not a fan of getting killed in my own home.

40. panoramix2009

but for finish corner you can use this
    upload_2018-11-13_0-23-36.png

Drakelord likes this.
  41. MalagAste

And then if you wanted to add walls later you get a "gap" because you can't go all the way to the wall... which looks like poo... and is 100X more annoying than a sticking out piece...

42. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

I went round them all again last night, only two from my short list made it and they were #9 and #12, I prefer #9 slightly, but my own is also in the 20 so hmmmm decisions, decisions...:eek:

43. Ford Taunus

Stratics Veteran Supporter Stratics Legend K/K

Might be silly queston.. but do I vote :)?

44. Tjalle

Tjalle Grand Poobah
    Stratics Veteran Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter Gilfane

You click the stone East of Britain bank and you get a window. On that window there´s a Vote-button next to the keep names.

45. MalagAste

Voting button is on the right side... to visit each Keep design use the button on the Left hand side...

46. Draza

Draza Journeyman

Mr crowleys(#1) is the only one that i think i could live in, and even then, there are many items i do not care for. The sandstone ones are nice, but i dont really care for sandstone, and dont want to fight people for rubble to add walls...

if the devs added sandstone to the stone crafting( hint hint ) i would go with the other ones.

Not a fan of teleporters, and single wide stairs.

MalagAste likes this.
  47. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

I like Crowley as well except for the really narrow hallway on the 3rd floor. It could have been wider without too much impact on the rooms.

48. Draza

Draza Journeyman

The only other part i saw that baffeled me was the 1X2 tile space behind one of the stairs.... i have no idead what to put there LoL

49. ShriNayne

ShriNayne Certifiable
    Stratics Veteran

A Guildmate reported that one of the 20 finalists tried to bribe him to vote for her design. :(

MareJadeSky likes this.
  50. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete Seasoned Veteran
    Supporter

How much? I'll vote for whoever! Let the bidding start now!

Jelinidas likes this.