1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

    In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Author Wes Locher has teamed up with Stratics for a giveaway of his new book Braving Britannia. This book explores the history and impact of Ultima Online and includes interviews from current and past dev team members as well as many UO and Stratics community members. Click here for more details!
    Dismiss Notice

What happened to my smelting?

Discussion in 'UO Craftsman' started by imported_feath, Jan 15, 2008.

  1. Granted, I stopped mining when they changed the ore locations, so I haven't played my smithy/miner/tink for much more than doing hi-end recipe work, but yesterday I took her out for a mining spin.
    Every time I actually managed to find a few bits of valorite, not once was my legendary blacksmith (gm arms lore, gm miner) was able to successfully smelt the ore into ingots. And the verite only 1/3 of the time.
    Must I now equip an Ancient hammer to smelt? My defenseless crafter running around with an ancient, just to be able to smelt?
    And my GM tink skill? Now makes shovels with 50 (yes, 5.0.) uses? When did this happen?
    Anyone else notice these changes?
    With the insane prices of peerless regs, its become impossible to make hi end (or even medium) recipes. With the pointlessness of my legendary skills, what, what, what, is the point of having a crafter?
    I'm seriously considering putting the skills on a stone, and walking away.
  2. Bummer about the smelting. I haven't done enough lately to have an opinion on it but the last time I smelted valorite it was petty bad results. Out of 3 sites I collected I only got one smelted on the first try and the others wasted most of it. Mining is the skill that helps with smelting (not smithing so ASH doesn't help). I haven't been able to make a business selling weapons or armor for along time. I still like my smith character.
  3. Jhym

    Jhym Guest

    ...that's what +5 mining gloves are for. And yes, smithing has nothing to do with smelting ore. Valorite has always been an annoyance for smelting, that's nothing new.

    As far as I know they didn't change anything on the tinkering side, at least nobody was complaining in the tinker forum. Are you using a talisman? If so try taking it off and see if you get any more uses.
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I have had great luck in smelting Val lately.
  5. I wasn't aware that the gloves kicking you over the 100 mark. I'm at 100 on mining. Before, I never had a bit of trouble with valorite, sure the occasional miss, but never 100% failure on any smelting.
  6. Redrum1

    Redrum1 Guest

    Plus 5 gloves will really help you. I have been mining alot lately and i have not had bad results at all with Val. As for the shovels, my non exep. shovels are 50 and my exep. shovels are 100. And as a gm tinkerer you will not always make exep. shovels.
  7. Thanks for the tips, guys, I'll try out the +5 gloves.
  8. A gm tinker only has a 75% chance to make exceptional shovels, so equip a talisman with an exceptional bonus. A talisman with 25% exceptional bonus with give you a 100% chance to make those exceptional shovels.