Greetings Guest!!Dismiss Notice
In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.
The Broadsword team is seeking alternative castle designs! Learn more and discuss here!Dismiss Notice
Broadsword is hosting a 20th Anniversary Party for UO this September! Learn more here. Will you be there, Guest?Dismiss Notice
Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!Dismiss Notice
Greetings Guest, We're testing and evaluating a new user verification system you should be aware of. Check this thread!Dismiss Notice
1998-10-09: Celebration of Britannia Puzzle
The response to my little puzzle hath been much grander then ever I expected. And I am ecstatic to announce that someone hath solved it... actually, many of thee have. But despite having many more than the fifty of thee needed answering correctly, I have decided not to give the answer just yet. In hope that numerous more of thee are still enjoying my puzzle, I shall leave it for a few days longer. After that, I shall provide the answer.
I thank thee all for trying and hope each of thee hath had as much fun as I!
Greetings Britannians! 'Tis I, Uzeraan. And... um... hmm... well, I suppose I should not be surprised by thy blank stares. Why should any of thee know who I am? What with my research and travels and such, I rarely meet anyone. Very well... I shall introduce. I am Uzeraan the Conjurer. I have spent my entire life studying the magicks of conjuring. From creating food to summoning travel gates to bending elementals to my will, I've studied it all. You may ask what I've accomplished, and frankly from the point of view of someone else, it might not look like much. But I've enjoyed my research nonetheless.
During the course of my studies and travels, I have amassed many interesting and useful items. As well as more furniture, knickknacks, odds, ends, flotsam, jetsam, and gadgets than can be contained by any one building. And in fact my home, laboratory, and library are all overflowing.
My first thought was to simply conjure up a daemon and have it remove all of the surplus effects. But upon further reflection, I though it more entertaining to perhaps push these things off on someone else... um... hmm... that didn't quite come out correctly. What I mean to say is that I shall pose a puzzle to thee. To the first who solves my puzzle shall go anything in my possession that they might wish to use to decorate their home, guildhall, or any other building they choose. No more than one building, though. And of the next 50 who correctly find the answer to my puzzle, I shall randomly pick 5. These shall each choose from a chest of unique items I have collected and pick one such item for themselves.
I have placed a bulletin board to receive thy answers. To reach this board, send thy guess, educated or otherwise, through the ether to [email protected] Place thy answer in the subject of thy message, and thy identification (account name) in the body of thy message. The puzzle will remain until 50 of thee have correctly answered it.
And now... the puzzle:
- Seek ye all, but trust ye half, and search through histories long-known-
- Given time and thought the path shall lead ye to the heart and bone.
- Thy answers all should be for each a word or two that stands alone,
- A set of words that means one word that is the answer's own.
- A bard there was, who perished, friend to Nystul and to songs. Galias
- Near Minoc reapers gather, nicknamed this by cutter's wives. Widowmakers
- A city termed of Balance, where spells are chanted long. Wind
- A hero opposing Armageddon too soon lost his life. Hartham
- Humboldt's item sang of courage with a ding-ding-dong. Bell of courage
- The birthplace of Juo'nar, whose deeds led to much strife. Ocllo
- The ship attacked some time ago by a foolish troll. Freedom
- The festival of this Jhelom declared for fun and play. Ivory Tusk
- The messenger to CrawWorth whose escort was a tale told. Cale
- All bears end up six feet deep at ending of this day. Samlethe's
- The color of CrawWorth's armor found in a pool of gore. Gold
- Kazola's Tavern's true name, all four words for this one. Treetop Keg and Winery
- The renegade Branson's nickname, a Follower before. One-Thumb
- The dungeon still misspelled, spirituality undone. Hythloth
- He fought Relvinian's plans, this Empath Abbey monk. Andrew
- The first of strips, the author of “Barrel Full of Monks.” Enoch
- Food critic for papers, a man of quite fine palate slaked. Alonarg
- The creature loved of coders who flies out purple in a spell. Llama
- Mayor of Yew until his untimely demise upon Great Lakes. Enshu Ponfar
- Peppermint-apple with a dash of garlic is its smell. Orfleur
- The city of the night of fights where Sonoma's bones all break. Oasis
- The killer of Lord British made the news for burning him so well. Rainz
- He founded Moongates and his site lasts to this date. Auric
- A “boring” name, he authored books, leads mages on the Council. Dryus Doost
- His protest led to headlines, but he had a change of heart. Mohdri
- The brother of lich Kyrnia, he gathered much ill fame. Lathiari
- In orcish tongue this phoneme's sound is but the third part. AG
- Either of the two men whose hearts were once the same. British or Blackthorn
- A language whose poetry is one phrase in many pitches. Orcish
- A mouse who authors volumes from her home inside a wall. Sherry
- Not an author but a prefacer of tales, one devoutly wishes. Guilhem
- Courage and truth are something, but surely are not all. Love
- Japheth watched her tavern burn as Trinsic turned to ashes. Eleanor's
- Caitlin is her first name, but what's her last name called? Elopidat
- Weaponsmaster mighty, but at 92 of bunions did he pass. Martin
- The Sage imprisoned for plotting all Britannia's fall. Winslow
- Where Horace ran when Leyla loosed him, frightened to his soul. Yew
- This comics man, a dashing sort, romanced LB's girlfriend. ImaNewbie
- A dungeon that was once feared as a temple to powers of old. Deceit
- The Mage to lords whose hand brought about the end. Nystul
- The single vowel that the wisps are known to speak aloud. Y
- Hartham's killer, evil man, whose very soul was sick. Duryn
- 3rd in the first Vesper fishing tourney! He must have been proud! Odepeus
- Two-worded answer this one, the mage's shop in Trinsic. Encyclopedia Magicka
- Guild title for those qualified to teach those who seek to learn. Adept
- Nosfentor, Faulinei, and Astaroth, referred to as a type of one. Shadowlord
- Black pearls must be perfect spheres and this, to serve their turn. Unblemished
- In Wind where Lovers are Crossed, what did the boy become? Earth
- The crossbow Humboldt gave those who helped him when he called. Uolinsho
- The language written on your maps, deciphering's not hard. Runic
- And lastly, just the final clue, good wishes to you all!
- The lost wife of Finth Desryn, captain of the Trinsic guard. Tali
Taking the first letter from the answer of every second line gives us the query:
“WHO IS THE LORD LB SLEW IN DESERT?”
And the final solution to the puzzle is thus Robere.
My puzzle will call on events old and new. There are tomes and places of knowledge that shall aid thy search for the answer:
- Ultima Online Stratics
- The Ultima Online Chronicles
- The UO Vault
- [email protected]
- Crossroads of Britannia
Good luck my friends...